Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume and Pressure

1. Sep 7, 2005 #1
    Hi people. I need some assistance for a problem that is beyond me. If I have a container that measures one cubic foot, and I fill it to 100 PSI, how many cubic feet of air is it holding? I'm not a student and you're not doing my homework for me, this is for an air tank I am building and I don't know the math. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer. If this is the wrong place to ask this question, please accept my apologies.

Dave

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2005 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Moving to general physics...

4. Sep 7, 2005 #3

David

Science Advisor

You need to specify something extra for the question to make sense. A one cubic foot container contains one cubic foot of air, by definition. Are you asking how what volume of air at a certain temperature and pressure would you need to bring the pressure in the one cubic foot container to 100 PSI? Or conversely are you asking what volume one cubic foot of air at 100 PSI would fill at room temperature and pressure? Are you always talking about room temperature and pressure or some other temperature and pressure?

5. Sep 7, 2005 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I suspect the OP wants to know the volume of air it takes at STP. This volume would be roughly 100/14.7 (about 6.8) cu. ft. It follows from Boyle's Law PV = constant.

6. Sep 7, 2005 #5
    OK. Temperature is constant, room temp. The container hods one cubic foot at room temp, sea level air pressure. If I pumped air into it at room temperature, sea level, how much air would I be adding to make the gauge read 100 PSI?

7. Sep 7, 2005 #6

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Like Gokul already mentioned, it's solved using Boyle's law:

[tex]P_1 V_1 = P_2 V_2 [/tex]

[tex](14.7 \frac{Lb_f}{in^2}) V_1 = (100 \frac{Lb_f}{in^2})(1 ft^3)[/tex]

[tex]V_2 = 6.80 ft^3 [/tex]

Since you are using it as a tank, that may or may not be a useable amount depending on what you are doing with the tank. Just thought I'd mention that. Good luck.

8. Sep 7, 2005 #7

David

Science Advisor

Gokul answered your question in anticipation. Boyle's Law says PV=const. so the volumes will be in the same ratio as the pressures. As 1 atmosphere pressure is 14.7 PSI, you require 100/14.7 * 1 cubic foot = 6.8 cu. feet of standard pressure air (assuming you want to keep everything at the same temperature, of course.)

9. Sep 7, 2005 #8
    Thanks all. That answers my question.

10. Sep 10, 2005 #9
    Note that the pressure terms are absolute. If 100PSI is gauge reading then volume the container holds is 114.7/14.7 = 7.8cu.ft

11. Sep 21, 2005 #10

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I hope MastaFace doesn't blow him/herself up. Fiddling with tanks and pressures can be dangerous and requires due attention to safety precautions, and he/she doesn't seem to know a lot about it...

12. Sep 21, 2005 #11

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Gack. Good catch on the mistake Quark. I wish I could edit my original post.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?