Calculate Volume of Products in NH3 + Cl2 Reaction

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter Duderonimous
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moles Volume
In summary: Maybe your method is easy because i am very new to this mole concept and have learned only something about it, so i thought of applying POAC...:)I would elaborate, but it will give too much information for OP, and it would be against forum rules. We can get back to it in a week from now (if nothing changes).
Duderonimous

Homework Statement

A mixture is completed from 15.0L of ammonia and 15.0L chlorine measured at the same conditions, these compounds react according to the following equation

2NH3(g) + 3Cl2(g) yields N2(g) + 6HCl(g)

When the reaction is completed, what is the volume of each gas? Assume the final volumes are measured under identical conditions.

Homework Equations

Maybe Avogadros law

The Attempt at a Solution

To be honest I do not know where to start

Physics news on Phys.org
Everything in this problem shares the same unit, (Liter for Volume). What you need to do is figure out which one of the two given gases is the limiting reactant, and then use that to calculate the yield of the two product gases.

You could start by taking either the ammonia or chlorine and calculating it in the ratio given by the balanced equation to the other one to find out which one is limiting (if any at all).

Since no conditions were specified, perhaps you can assume they are ideal gases?

For an ideal gas at standard temperature and pressure the molar volume is 22.4 L/mol. You could use this to find the moles and then you can use stoicheometry to determine each product, again converting back to liters using the molar volume.

Norfonz said:
Since no conditions were specified, perhaps you can assume they are ideal gases?

For an ideal gas at standard temperature and pressure the molar volume is 22.4 L/mol. You could use this to find the moles and then you can use stoicheometry to determine each product, again converting back to liters using the molar volume.

While this is not necessarily wrong, it doesn't make sense - it is like going from Washington to New York through San Francisco. Same volume of gas at same conditions contain same number of moles, so you can do calculations using volumes directly.

Is it possible to assume the conditions at NTP? If it is possible, then try applying POAC.

Pranav-Arora said:
Is it possible to assume the conditions at NTP? If it is possible, then try applying POAC.

No idea what you mean. POAC (Principle of Atom Conservation - nothing else but mass conservation) holds not only at NTP, but at every other TP parameters.

Borek said:
No idea what you mean. POAC (Principle of Atom Conservation - nothing else but mass conservation) holds not only at NTP, but at every other TP parameters.

I know that Borek but i asked for NTP because it will be much convinient to solve the problem if we assume the conditions at NTP.

Pranav-Arora said:
it will be much convinient to solve the problem if we assume the conditions at NTP.

No, the question can be easily solved - in exactly the same way - no matter what TP conditions are. The only assumption needed is that gases behave reasonably close to ideal gas.

Borek said:
No, the question can be easily solved - in exactly the same way - no matter what TP conditions are. The only assumption needed is that gases behave reasonably close to ideal gas.

Maybe your method is easy because i am very new to this mole concept and have learned only something about it, so i thought of applying POAC...:)

I would elaborate, but it will give too much information for OP, and it would be against forum rules. We can get back to it in a week from now (if nothing changes).

1. How do you calculate the volume of products in the NH3 + Cl2 reaction?

The volume of products in the NH3 + Cl2 reaction can be calculated using the ideal gas law, PV = nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature. First, you will need to determine the number of moles of each reactant and product using the given molar ratios. Then, plug in these values into the ideal gas law equation to solve for the volume of products.

2. Is there a specific formula for calculating the volume of products in the NH3 + Cl2 reaction?

Yes, the specific formula for calculating the volume of products in the NH3 + Cl2 reaction is PV = nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature. This formula is derived from the ideal gas law and can be used to calculate the volume of products in any gas reaction.

3. How does the temperature affect the volume of products in the NH3 + Cl2 reaction?

The temperature has a direct effect on the volume of products in the NH3 + Cl2 reaction. According to the ideal gas law, as the temperature increases, the volume of gases also increases. This means that increasing the temperature of the reaction will result in a larger volume of products being produced.

4. Can you use the ideal gas law to calculate the volume of products in any reaction?

No, the ideal gas law can only be used to calculate the volume of products in reactions involving ideal gases. Ideal gases are those that follow the kinetic theory of gases, meaning they have no volume and do not interact with one another. Real gases, on the other hand, have volume and do experience intermolecular forces, making the ideal gas law inaccurate. However, the ideal gas law can still be used as an approximation in most cases.

5. What other factors besides temperature can affect the volume of products in the NH3 + Cl2 reaction?

Besides temperature, pressure and the number of moles of reactants and products can also affect the volume of products in the NH3 + Cl2 reaction. According to the ideal gas law, as the pressure increases, the volume of gases decreases. Additionally, the number of moles of reactants and products can affect the equilibrium of the reaction, which in turn can affect the volume of products. Other factors such as catalysts and concentration of reactants may also play a role in the volume of products in this reaction.