Volume of Region Bounded by Given Planes

In summary, the conversation is about finding the volume of a region bounded by planes using integration. The person encountered a triangle in 2D and used separate integrals for two regions. They got a result of 0.893229167 and are questioning if they used the correct limits for integration. Another person suggests using a horizontal cross-section to avoid double integration and provides a definite integral of 1.19. The system may be expecting a different format for the answer.
alalall2

Homework Statement

(1 pt) Find the volume of the region bounded by the planes
568127b1edc489fa46d5f8432599101.png

Homework Equations

V = ∫∫7/4-6/4y-2/4x

The Attempt at a Solution

Since y=x I found their values when z = 0.
6x+2x=7, x=7/8
y= 7/8 is the maximum value y will have in this integration as it decreases as x approaches its maximum value: 2x = 7, x=7/2.

When I made a 2-D image of the region I would be integrating on I came up with a triangle which had two areas that needed to be integrated separately as in the first region: 0≤x≤7/8 and 0≤y≤x, and in the second region: 7/8≤x≤7/2 and 0≤y≤(7/6 - x/3).

After integrating my result was 0.893229167.

What I am wondering is if I am using the correct limits for my integration or if I made a mistake in my math.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would avoid double integral thus: a horizontal cross-section of the region is bounded by the x and y axes and the line

[tex]2x+6y = 7-4z[/tex]

The area of that right angle triangle is [tex]\frac{(7-4z)^2}{24}[/tex] for z in[tex][0,\frac{7}{4}][/tex].

The definite integral should be [tex]\frac{7^3}{12\cdot 24}=1.19[/tex]

The system still thinks that is an incorrect answer

Could the system be expecting a different format than what you entered, such as different number of decimal places?

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume between two given planes?

The formula for calculating the volume between two given planes is V = ∫∫∫ dV, where dV represents the infinitesimal volume element between the two planes.

2. How do you determine the boundaries for the triple integral when finding the volume between two planes?

The boundaries for the triple integral are determined by the intersections of the two given planes and the coordinate planes. This forms a rectangular prism, with each face representing a boundary for the integral.

3. Can the volume between two planes be negative?

No, the volume between two planes cannot be negative. It represents the physical space between the two planes, which cannot have a negative value.

4. Are there any real-world applications of finding the volume between two planes?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of finding the volume between two planes. For example, it can be used to calculate the volume of a cylindrical tank, or the amount of material needed to fill a specific space between two surfaces.

5. Is it possible for the volume between two planes to be infinite?

No, the volume between two planes cannot be infinite. It is always a finite value, as it represents the physical space between the two given planes.