Calculating the Volume Between Three Surfaces: Is My Approach Correct?

In summary: She is trying to find the volume between a sphere, a plane, and another plane. She has derived equations for x and y and has assumed they are equal to find equations for y. She then assumes y values are equal to find z values and uses these to set up three integrals to calculate the volume. Nejla is asking for confirmation that her method is correct and has also provided equations for a general case. She eventually solves the problem and will share her solution when she can.
nejla
Dear all,

I do really need your help.
I'd like to find the volume contained between a sphere (x^2+y^2+z^2=r^2) , plane1 (ax+by+cz+d=0), and plane2 (z-h=0).

Would you please check what I've done till now?

From the sphere and plane1 equations I got:
x1=sqrt*(r^2-y^2-z^2)
x2=d/a-(b/a)y-(c/a)z

Then, by assuming that x1=x2 (as the sphere and plane1 intersect), I derived two equations: one for y1 and one for y2 as follow:
y1=f(z)
y2=g(z)

Also, by assuming y1=y2, I got:
z1=M (a constant value)
z2=N (a constant value)

Now, let assume z1<h<z2

So, to derive the volume I thought that I can run three integrals as bellow:

A=int(1,x,x1..x2)
B=int(A,y,y1..y2)
volume = int(B,z,h..z2)

Am I right? Would you please let me know that what I am doing is right or not?

I also drew a simple picture. The shaded area represents the portion of the sphere that I am looking for its volume.

Thanks in advance,
Nejla

Attachments

• volume between three surfaces.JPG
    volume between three surfaces.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 385
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi again,

I tried it for a special case where plane1 is x=0 and I got the right answer. But for the general case where plane1 is ax+by+cz+d=0, I cannot calculate the integrals.

For the general case I have:

x1=- d/a - (b*y)/a - (c*z)/a

x2=(r^2 - x^2 - y^2)^(1/2)

y1=-(a*(a^2*r^2 - a^2*z^2 + b^2*r^2 - b^2*z^2 - c^2*z^2 - 2*c*d*z - d^2)^(1/2) + b*d + b*c*z)/(a^2 + b^2)

y2=-(b*d - a*(a^2*r^2 - a^2*z^2 + b^2*r^2 - b^2*z^2 - c^2*z^2 - 2*c*d*z - d^2)^(1/2) + b*c*z)/(a^2 + b^2)

z1=-(c*d + (a^4*r^2 + 2*a^2*b^2*r^2 + a^2*c^2*r^2 - a^2*d^2 + b^4*r^2 + b^2*c^2*r^2 - b^2*d^2)^(1/2))/(a^2 + b^2 + c^2)

z2=-(c*d - (a^4*r^2 + 2*a^2*b^2*r^2 + a^2*c^2*r^2 - a^2*d^2 + b^4*r^2 + b^2*c^2*r^2 - b^2*d^2)^(1/2))/(a^2 + b^2 + c^2)

I do really need your help.
Thanks in advance,
Nejla

Thank you all. I eventually solved my problem. Whenever I get the chance, I will write down its answers here.Nejla

What is "Volume between three surfaces"?

Volume between three surfaces is a mathematical concept that refers to the amount of space enclosed by three different surfaces. It is typically calculated by finding the integral of the difference between the three surfaces.

How is the volume between three surfaces calculated?

The volume between three surfaces is calculated by finding the integral of the difference between the three surfaces. This involves finding the intersection points of the three surfaces and using the appropriate mathematical formula to calculate the volume in that region.

What is the significance of finding the volume between three surfaces?

Finding the volume between three surfaces can have practical applications in fields such as physics and engineering. It can also help in visualizing and understanding complex three-dimensional shapes and their properties.

Can the volume between three surfaces be negative?

Yes, the volume between three surfaces can be negative depending on the orientation and positioning of the three surfaces. It is important to pay attention to the direction of the integral to ensure an accurate calculation.

What are some real-world examples of finding the volume between three surfaces?

Finding the volume between three surfaces can be useful in determining the capacity of a container, calculating the volume of a complex solid object in manufacturing, or determining the amount of fluid that can be held in a specific space, such as a reservoir or a pipe.