1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume by revolution

1. Jan 28, 2012 #1
    I have to find the volume of the solid whose area is bound by the equations [tex]y=-x+3 \ and \ y=x^2-3x[/tex] as it revolves around the x and y axis. I approached it by finding the center of mass and then using Pappus's theorem:

[tex]M_{x}=\int^{3}_{-1} \frac{1}{2}((-x+3)^2-(x^2-3x)^2)\,dx = \frac{64}{15}[/tex]
    [tex]M_{y}=\int^{3}_{-1} x(-x+3-x^2+3x)\,dx = \frac{32}{3}[/tex]
    [tex]A=\int^{3}_{-1} -x+3-x^2+3x \, \ dx = \frac{32}{3}[/tex]
    So the center of mass coordinates are:
    [tex]\overline{x} = \frac{M_{y}}{A} = \frac{\frac{32}{3}}{\frac{32}{3}} = 1[/tex]
    [tex]\overline{y} = \frac{M_{x}}{A} = \frac{\frac{64}{15}}{\frac{32}{3}} = \frac{2}{5}[/tex]
    Revolving around x:
    [tex]d=(2\pi)(\frac{2}{5}) = \frac{4\pi}{5}[/tex]
    [tex]V=dA=(\frac{4\pi}{5})(\frac{32}{3}) = \frac{128\pi}{15} \approx 26.8083[/tex]

Revolving around y:
    [tex]d=(2\pi)(1) = 2\pi[/tex]
    [tex]V=dA=(2\pi)(\frac{32}{3}) = \frac{64\pi}{3} \approx 67.0206[/tex]

However the answers in the book are 63.9848 and 72.9478 respectively. Can anyone tell me where I went wrong or if I am even approaching the problem correctly? Thank you.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First of all: Are you instructed to use Pappus's Theorem ?

What precisely does Pappus's Theorem state?

No matter what method you use, this problem includes some tricky details.

4. Jan 28, 2012 #3
    I have not been instructed to use any particular method, I just need to find a solution to the problem. For these types of problems I generally use disks or washers to find the volume, but I guess the "tricky" part of this problem is that the bound area crosses the the axis on which it's supposed to rotate, as u can see:
    http://www4c.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP3271a035bi2ii1400fa000012ie2ia8673b6ch5?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=50&w=381&h=306&cdf=Coordinates&cdf=Tooltips [Broken]

Pappus's second theorem states that the volume of a solid of revolution generated by the revolution of a region about an external axis is equal to the product of the area of the region and the distance traveled by the region's geometric centroid.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PappussCentroidTheorem.html

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  5. Jan 28, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, this is the tricky part … but it's easily handled. The trickier part is to revolve this around the y-axis. Only part of the area on the left is overlapped by the area on the right.
    The part of Pappus's Theorem you seem to be ignoring is: That the axis must be an external axis to the region being rotated. So, when you calculate the centroid, only include the portion of the region above the x-axis . For the other part only the portion to the right of the y-axis , then do the little portion (that's not overlapped) left of the y-axis.

6. Jan 28, 2012 #5
    Yeah you are right, it is only external. I figured it out by cutting it into smaller parts like you said and then using disks and washers. Thank you for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook