1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume Charge Density

1. Feb 28, 2006 #1
    OK, I may be out of my league here so feel free to let me know (in a nice way please) but conceptually & every other way I can come up with, I am trying to put together volume charge density, linear charge density and surface charge density ... for example in my text it says that in terms of a cylinder r(enclosed)=λh where λ is linear charge density and r is the radius of a cylinder - can I interchange ρ (for volume charge density) and λ such that r(enclosed) = ρh? - AND if I have a uniform charge distribution and I use a cylindrical gaussian surface enclosed in a larger cylinder (r for the gauss. cyl. < R -- the whole cylinder) does E(enclosed in the gauss. cyl.) = E as in the whole cylinder??? Thats what Gauss's law is saying?? right?? and is q (enclosed) the same as Q(total)??? ---- Thanks for any help - trying not to be a physics flunky ---- :shy:
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?