How Does Gauss's Law Apply to a Sphere with a Radial Charge Distribution?

In summary, the enclosed charge is found to be equal to the total charge within the sphere multiplied by the sphere's radius.
roam

Homework Statement

A sphere of radius R has a volume charge distribution ##\rho(r)## given by:

##\rho(r)= \rho_0 \left( \frac{r}{R_0} \right) \ \ for \ 0 <r<R##
##\rho(r)=0 \ \ elsewhere##

Where ##\rho_0## is a constant. Use Gauss's law to find E field outside the sphere.

Homework Equations

Integral form of Gauss's law

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure how to find the enclosed charge. Here's what I did:

##\int \rho \ dV = \int (0) (r^2 \ sin \theta dr d \theta d\phi)##

##\int^R_0 (0) . r^2 dr \int^\pi_0 sin \theta \ d \theta \int^{2 \pi}_0 d \phi = C 4 \pi##

Did I do the integration correctly? :confused:

I'm not sure what to do with the constant, I tried to find ##E_{in}## and use boundary conditions:

##\frac{\rho_0}{R} \int r.r^2 \ sin \theta dr d \theta d \phi = \frac{\rho_0 r^4 \pi}{R_0} \implies E_{in} = \frac{\rho_0 r^2}{\epsilon_0 R_0}##

At the boundary R:

##4\pi C = \frac{\rho_0 R}{\epsilon_0} \implies C=\frac{\rho_0 R}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \implies Q_{enc} = \frac{\rho_0 R}{\epsilon_0}##

So this gives:

##\oint E_{out} da= |E| 4 \pi r^2= \frac{\rho_0 R}{\epsilon_0^2} \implies \therefore E_{out} = \frac{\rho_0 R}{4 \pi \epsilon_0^2 r^2}##

It doesn't look right. Am I using the correct method here to solve the problem? Any explanation would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
roam said:

Homework Statement

A sphere of radius R has a volume charge distribution ##\rho(r)## given by:

##\rho(r)= \rho_0 \left( \frac{r}{R_0} \right) \ \ for \ 0 <r<R##
##\rho(r)=0 \ \ elsewhere##

Where ##\rho_0## is a constant. Use Gauss's law to find E field outside the sphere.

Homework Equations

Integral form of Gauss's law

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure how to find the enclosed charge. Here's what I did:

##\int \rho \ dV = \int (0) (r^2 \ sin \theta dr d \theta d\phi)##

##\int^R_0 (0) . r^2 dr \int^\pi_0 sin \theta \ d \theta \int^{2 \pi}_0 d \phi = C 4 \pi##

Did I do the integration correctly? :confused:

I'm not sure what to do with the constant, I tried to find ##E_{in}## and use boundary conditions:

##\frac{\rho_0}{R} \int r.r^2 \ sin \theta dr d \theta d \phi = \frac{\rho_0 r^4 \pi}{R_0} \implies E_{in} = \frac{\rho_0 r^2}{\epsilon_0 R_0}##

At the boundary R:

##4\pi C = \frac{\rho_0 R}{\epsilon_0} \implies C=\frac{\rho_0 R}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \implies Q_{enc} = \frac{\rho_0 R}{\epsilon_0}##

So this gives:

##\oint E_{out} da= |E| 4 \pi r^2= \frac{\rho_0 R}{\epsilon_0^2} \implies \therefore E_{out} = \frac{\rho_0 R}{4 \pi \epsilon_0^2 r^2}##

It doesn't look right. Am I using the correct method here to solve the problem? Any explanation would be appreciated.
The density inside the sphere is not zero.

C seems to be on the wrong side of your equation for the integral. Is C the total charge?

For the integral, the area of a thin spherical shell is ##4 \pi r^2##. It's volume is ##4 \pi r^2 dr##. The charge within the volume element, ##\rho(r) = \frac{r}{R_0}\rho_0##. The charge within the shell is ##4 \pi r^2 \rho dr##.

stedwards said:
C seems to be on the wrong side of your equation for the integral. Is C the total charge?

For the integral, the area of a thin spherical shell is ##4 \pi r^2##. It's volume is ##4 \pi r^2 dr##. The charge within the volume element, ##\rho(r) = \frac{r}{R_0}\rho_0##. The charge within the shell is ##4 \pi r^2 \rho dr##.
C is a constant of integration. And this is a solid sphere, not a shell.

SammyS said:
The density inside the sphere is not zero.

No, as calculated it, density inside is not 0. But we are looking for density outside.

So do you mean the density outside is the sum density inside plus density outside:

##\frac{\rho_0}{R} \int^R_0 r.r^2 \ sin \theta dr d \theta d \phi + \frac{\rho_R}{r} \int^R_0 r.r^2 \ sin \theta dr d \theta d \phi##

##\frac{\rho_0 r^4 \pi}{R}+ 4 \pi C##

But then it's not possible to solve for C with the boundary conditions in my previous post. :confused:

roam said:
C is a constant of integration.
There is no "constant of integration" for definite integrals.

roam said:
And this is a solid sphere, not a shell.
I believe he was suggesting that you integrate over spherical shells to find the charge in the whole volume. This makes the integral a little nicer because it takes advantage of the fact that the charge-density is constant for each shell. But, if you want, you can use a triple integral over spherical coordinates. (Both methods become identical after you calculate the ##d \theta d \phi## integrals.)

roam said:
No, as calculated it, density inside is not 0. But we are looking for density outside.
Why are you looking for the density outside of R? It's already given that it's zero.

roam said:
##\frac{\rho_0}{R} \int^R_0 r.r^2 \ sin \theta dr d \theta d \phi + \frac{\rho_R}{r} \int^R_0 r.r^2 \ sin \theta dr d \theta d \phi##
These should be triple integrals, but I'll take that to be a typo.

What are these integrals supposed to mean? You are trying to calculate the enclosed charge, right? Your first integral is reasonable but your second one makes no sense to me at all. Can you explain it?Also I have a question about the problem statement; does R0=R?

Likes roam
Nathanael said:
There is no "constant of integration" for definite integrals.I believe he was suggesting that you integrate over spherical shells to find the charge in the whole volume. This makes the integral a little nicer because it takes advantage of the fact that the charge-density is constant for each shell. But, if you want, you can use a triple integral over spherical coordinates. (Both methods become identical after you calculate the ##d \theta d \phi## integrals.)

These should be triple integrals, but I'll take that to be a typo.

What are these integrals supposed to mean? You are trying to calculate the enclosed charge, right? Your first integral is reasonable but your second one makes no sense to me at all. Can you explain it?Also I have a question about the problem statement; does R0=R?

Yes ##R_0 =R## radius of sphere.

I chose the integral for ##\theta## to run from 0 to pi, so the integral ##\int^\pi_0 \ sin \theta d\theta## becomes 2. The phi integral runs from 0 to ##2 \pi## which gives just ##2 \pi##. I thought this is what we have to do in spherical. What is wrong?

Why are you looking for the density outside of R? It's already given that it's zero.

Because I need an expression for ##\rho## to place in the equation for ##E_{out}##.

EDIT: So do you mean I must take the limits of the first integral to be between 0 and R? (i.e. over the entire sphere)

That gives ##\rho_{enclosed} = \frac{\pi \rho_0 R^3}{4}##

Last edited:
roam said:
I chose the integral for ##\theta## to run from 0 to pi, so the integral ##\int^\pi_0 \ sin \theta d\theta## becomes 2. The phi integral runs from 0 to ##2 \pi## which gives just ##2 \pi##. I thought this is what we have to do in spherical. What is wrong?
That's right, but I was saying you should've written it as a triple integral: ##\frac{\rho_0}{R} \int\limits^R_0\int_0\limits^{2\pi}\int_0\limits^{\pi} r.r^2 \ sin \theta d \theta d \phi dr##
The way you wrote it just doesn't make any sense but anyway you have the right idea so it's not important.

Can you please explain these integrals: (Especially the second one)
roam said:

Sorry, didn't notice your edit.

roam said:
That gives ##\rho_{enclosed} = \frac{\pi \rho_0 R^3}{4}##
By ##\rho_{enclosed}## you mean ##Q_{enclosed}##? It's not quite right, but almost. Show the integral that gives you that answer.

(It's hard to follow your methods because you're not really explaining yourself.)

Nathanael said:
Sorry, didn't notice your edit.By ##\rho_{enclosed}## you mean ##Q_{enclosed}##? It's not quite right, but almost. Show the integral that gives you that answer.

(It's hard to follow your methods because you're not really explaining yourself.)

Sorry, I was in a rush. Here's what I meant:

##Q_{enc} = \int^R_0 \frac{\rho r}{R_0} . r^2 dr . \int^\pi_0 sin \theta \ d \theta . \int^{2 \pi}_0 d \phi = \frac{\pi \rho_0 R^3}{4}##

Why is it not correct? I found the entire contribution due to the whole sphere, as you mentioned there are no charge densities outside it.

roam said:
Sorry, I was in a rush. Here's what I meant:

##Q_{enc} = \int^R_0 \frac{\rho r}{R_0} . r^2 dr . \int^\pi_0 sin \theta \ d \theta . \int^{2 \pi}_0 d \phi = \frac{\pi \rho_0 R^3}{4}##

Why is it not correct? I found the entire contribution due to the whole sphere, as you mentioned there are no charge densities outside it.
The integral is correct but that's not what I get when I calculate it. (My answer is different by a factor of 4.)

Likes roam
Nathanael said:
The integral is correct but that's not what I get when I calculate it. (My answer is different by a factor of 4.)

How?

Well, the ##\phi## and ##\theta## components become ##4 \pi## together. The r component is:

##\frac{\rho}{R} \int_0^R r.r^2 = \frac{\rho}{R} \left[ \frac{r^4}{4} \right]^R_0 = \frac{\rho R^3}{4} \implies Q_{enc} =\frac{\rho R^3 . 4 \pi}{4} =\pi \rho R^3##

Alrigh, I got it (I think). Thank you so much for your help.

roam said:
C is a constant of integration. And this is a solid sphere, not a shell.

No, ##4 \pi r^2 dr## is a volume, there is no constant of integration and ##Q={\int_0}^{R_0} 4\pi r^2 \rho(r) dr## is the total charge, or do it the hard way using angles.

1. What is volume charge distribution?

Volume charge distribution refers to the spatial arrangement of electric charge within a three-dimensional region. This can include a variety of objects or materials, such as conductors, insulators, or ionized gases.

2. How is volume charge distribution measured?

The most commonly used method for measuring volume charge distribution is through the use of electric field measurements. This involves placing a probe or sensor in the region of interest and recording the strength and direction of the electric field at various points.

3. What factors affect volume charge distribution?

The distribution of charge in a given volume is influenced by a variety of factors, including the type and quantity of charge present, the shape and material of the object, and the presence of nearby objects or fields that may interact with the charge distribution.

4. How is volume charge distribution related to electric potential?

The volume charge distribution within a region can be used to calculate the electric potential at any point within that region. This is done through the use of the electric field and the concept of electric potential energy, which is a measure of the work required to move a unit of charge from one point to another.

5. What are some practical applications of volume charge distribution?

Volume charge distribution is an important concept in various fields, including electrical engineering, materials science, and atmospheric physics. It is used to understand and design a wide range of devices and systems, such as capacitors, semiconductors, and lightning protection systems.