Is the Notation for Coordinate Transformation in Relativity Problematic?

In summary, the terms in round brackets in the equation for the volume element in the new coordinate system are the Jacobian. This notation implies a sum over all values that ##\kappa## can take. This doesn't tell us that it's an alternating sum for the case of volume element in the new coord. system, i.e. a sum where the terms have alternating sign, which is what we obtain if we resolve for the Jacobian determinant.
davidge
In a change of coordinate system we have ##dx^\mu = (\partial x^\mu / \partial \xi^{\kappa})d \xi^{\kappa}##, where the term in round brackets is the Jacobian. That notation implies a sum over all values that ##\kappa## can take. This don't tell us that it's an alternating sum for the case of volume element in the new coord. system, i.e. a sum where the terms have alternating sign, which is what we obtain if we resolve for the Jacobian determinant. So is there a problem with the notation on how the coordinates transform?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm wondering whether or not the correct would be to define the volume element by the wedge product, like ##dv = dx \wedge dy \wedge dz##, because then it gives us the correct result when we make the coordinate transformation.

davidge said:
I'm wondering whether or not the correct would be to define the volume element by the wedge product, like ##dv = dx \wedge dy \wedge dz##, because then it gives us the correct result when we make the coordinate transformation.

What does ##\int f\left(x,y,x\right) dxdydx## mean?

What happens if you change from Cartesian coordinates ##\left\{x,y,z\right\}## to another coordinate system?

George Jones said:
What does ##\int f\left(x,y,x\right) dxdydx## mean?
It means the integral of a function ##f## with respect to the ##{x, y, z}## system. This is a scalar and must be the same in all coordinate systems.
So...
George Jones said:
What happens if you change from Cartesian coordinates ##\left\{x,y,z\right\}## to another coordinate system?
We need the Jacobian so that the volume is invariant.

See section 1.7 of Poisson's lecture notes,

http://www.physics.uoguelph.ca/poisson/research/agr.pdf

or pages 51 - 53 of Carroll's lecture notes,

http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/gr-qc/9712019

Both of these sets of lecture notes evolved into books, and the books are better than the notes.

Likes dextercioby
George Jones said:
See section 1.7 of Poisson's lecture notes,

http://www.physics.uoguelph.ca/poisson/research/agr.pdf

or pages 51 - 53 of Carroll's lecture notes,

http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/gr-qc/9712019

Both of these sets of lecture notes evolved into books, and the books are better than the notes.
Thanks. I understand what is said in these materials. What I don't understand is why the Jacobian determinant is just ##det[ \partial x^\mu / \partial \xi^\mu]## instead of ##det[ (\partial x^\mu / \partial \xi^\kappa)(\partial x^\nu / \partial \xi^\sigma)]## for the transformation ##dy^\mu dy^\nu \rightarrow dx^\sigma dx^\kappa##, as I said in post #1. As an example of what I mean, consider the transform from ##dxdy## to ##drd\theta##.
mFR4Qay.png

Start from usual 3D Euclidean space. It's clear that ##\mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x}=\mathrm{d} x \mathrm{d} y \mathrm{d} z## only if you have Cartesian coordinates ##(x,y,z)##.

Now take any other kind of generalized coordinates ##q^k## (##k \in \{1,2,3\}##). I use the usual notation with upper and lower indices also here in Euclidean space. Now to get the volume elements you can think of some region of space time and divide it in "infinitesimal" volume elements spanned by coordinate lines. These coordinate lines in general will not define local Cartesian basis vectors through there tangents at a point but some general basis spanning an infinitesimal parallelepiped,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallelepiped

As is nicely explained on the Wikipedia page, the volume is given by the determined of the spanning vectors (i.e., components taken wrt. Carstesian coordinates). This leads to
$$\mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x} = \mathrm{det} \frac{\partial(x^1,x^2,x^3)}{\partial (q^1,q^2,q^3)} \mathrm{d}^3 q=\epsilon_{ijk} \frac{\partial x^i}{\partial q^1}\frac{\partial x^j}{\partial q^2} \frac{\partial x^k}{\partial q^3} \mathrm{d}^3 q.$$
The trouble now is that the Levi-Civita symbol provides only tensor components with respect to Cartesian coordinates.

But now we have the advantage that there is a metric in our Euclidean space. To that end let's check, how the Levi-Civita symbol behaves under a general coordinate transformation, if we apply the rules as if it would provide covariant tensor components:
$$\epsilon_{abc}'=\epsilon_{ijk} \frac{\partial x^i}{\partial q^a}\frac{\partial x^j}{\partial q^b}\frac{\partial x^k}{\partial q^c} = J \epsilon_{abc},$$
i.e., there's the Jacobian of the transformation as an additional factor.

To see, how the metric components help, let's calculate how their determinant behaves. To transform from Cartesian components ##g_{ij}=\delta_{ij}## to the components with respect to the basis given by the coordinate lines, we have
$$g_{ab}' = \frac{\partial x^i}{\partial q^a} \frac{\partial x^j}{\partial q^b} \delta_{ij}.$$
end thus
$$g'=\mathrm{det}(g_{ab}')=J^2.$$
Now we assume that ##J>0## (this we can always get by choosing an appropriate order of the ##q^j##; for ##J>0## one says the orientation of the coordinate basis is the same as for the Cartesian basis; i.e., we consider orientation-conserving coordinate transformations only). Then we can write
$$\epsilon_{abc}'=J \epsilon_{abc}=\sqrt{g'} \epsilon_{abc},$$
where ##\epsilon_{abc}## is the usual Levi-Civita symbol. So defining
$$\Delta_{abc}=\sqrt{g} \epsilon_{abc}$$
we have defined the components ##\Delta_{abc}## of a tensor, the Levi-Civita tensor (under general orientation-preserving coordinate transformations), and thus we have a covariant way to define volume elements in the usual sense of Euclidean geometry:
$$\mathrm{d} V= \Delta_{abc} \mathrm{d} q^a \mathrm{d} q^b \mathrm{d} q^c.$$
The same holds true in Riemannian spaces of any dimension since we haven't made use of ##d=3## anywhere in the above considerations.

In relativity (SR and GR), however, you don't have a Euclidean or Riemannian space but a Lorentzian space or Lorentzian manifold, respectively. Because the signature of the pseudo-metric is (1,3) (west coast) or (3,1) (east coast) the only qualification we must make is that we have to write
$$\Delta_{\mu \nu \rho \sigma} = -\sqrt{-g} \epsilon_{\mu \nu \rho \sigma},$$
where ##\epsilon_{\mu \nu \rho \sigma}## is the usual Levi-Civita symbol (the minus sign is convention).

It is also important to note that there's another sign flip when going to contravariant components, because raising the indices leads to
$$\Delta^{\alpha \beta \gamma \delta}=g^{\alpha \mu} g^{\beta \nu} g^{\rho \gamma} g^{\sigma \delta} \Delta_{\mu \nu \rho \sigma}=-\frac{1}{g} \sqrt{-g} \epsilon_{\alpha \beta \gamma \delta}=+\frac{1}{\sqrt{-g}} \epsilon_{\alpha \beta \gamma \delta},$$
because ##\mathrm{det}(g^{\mu \nu})=1/\mathrm{det} (g_{\mu \nu})=1/g##. As we see the signs are opposite then for the Levi-Civita tensors with lower indices! The minus sign in the definition of the covariant components of the Levi-Civita tensor comes simply from the fact that usually in textbooks ##\Delta^{\alpha \beta \gamma \delta}=+\epsilon_{\alpha \beta \gamma \delta}## in Minkowski space in Minkowski coordinates, i.e., the Levi-Civita tensor with upper indices is defined by the Levi-Civita symbol, while the one with upper indices by the negative of the Levi-Civita symbol.

Likes dextercioby and davidge
Thanks vanhees71 for your detailed reply. So the Levi-Civita tensor plays the role of the wedge product that I was thinking of before on this thread?

Yes. You can also do without a metric, i.e., with a "bare" vector space. Then covariant integration is restricted to the integration of alternating forms.

Likes davidge

1. What is a volume element in relativity?

A volume element in relativity is a mathematical representation of a small volume in spacetime. It takes into account the curvature of spacetime and allows for the calculation of physical quantities, such as mass and energy, within that volume.

2. How is a volume element related to the theory of relativity?

In the theory of relativity, space and time are combined into a single entity called spacetime. The curvature of spacetime, as described by Einstein's theory of general relativity, affects the measurement of distances and intervals of time. This is where the concept of a volume element becomes important, as it allows for the calculation of physical quantities in curved spacetime.

3. What is the significance of a volume element in relativity?

The volume element is crucial in understanding the effects of gravity and the behavior of particles in curved spacetime. It also plays a key role in the study of black holes and other phenomena predicted by general relativity.

4. How is a volume element calculated?

A volume element is calculated using the metric tensor, which describes the local curvature of spacetime. It involves taking into account the spatial and temporal components of the metric tensor and integrating over a small volume in spacetime.

5. Can a volume element change in different frames of reference?

Yes, a volume element can change in different frames of reference due to the relative motion and gravitational fields between the frames. This is one of the key principles of the theory of relativity, which states that physical laws should be the same in all frames of reference.