1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume Expansion

1. Jan 22, 2006 #1
    A quartz sphere is 15.5 cm in diameter. What will be its change in
    volume if it is heated from 40°C to 210°C?
    Ok so what I did was use the diameter of the sphere and use the volume formula of the sphere and I got 15598.53 cm^3. Then what I did was use this formula [tex] \Delta(V) = \beta V_o\Delta(T) [/tex] knowing this formula I plug in the informationg given in the problem, but the part I don't understand is if its [tex]\Delta(T) [/tex] shouldn't it be the final tamperature minus the initial? Giving me 170 C. I can't do that part I need help.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, [tex]\Delta(T) [/tex] is the change in temperature, 170 degrees Centigrade. What do you mean you "can't do that part"? Have you looked up [itex]\beta[/itex] for quartz?

4. Jan 22, 2006 #3
    YEs i did but i really cant get the answer the Beta for quartz is 0.000001 i dont get the answer right. What can i do?

5. Jan 22, 2006 #4
    I get 2.65 cm^3 as an answer.

6. Jan 22, 2006 #5
    is this answer corect?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?