1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume help,

1. May 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A closed cylinder has total surface area equal to [tex] 600\pi [/tex].

Show that the volume, Vcm3, of this cylinder is given by the formula[tex] v = 300\pi-\pi r^3 [/tex],
    where r cm is the radius of the cylinder.
    Find the maximum volume of such a cylinder.

2. Relevant equations

[tex] V= 2\pir^2 + 2\pirh [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

not really sure where to start,

[tex] 600\pi = 2\pir^2 + 2\pirh [/tex]

how would I make this expression equal the other?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A, the total surface area, is [itex]2\pi r^2+ 2\pi rh[/itex], not the volume.

Yes, that is correct.

Well, first you have to decide what the "other" expression is! What is the formula for volume of a cylinder? And you don't "make them equal". Solve the equation giving surface area for h and use that to replace h in the formula giving volume.

4. May 6, 2009 #3
    Latex gone horribly wrong.

this is the question;

A closed cylinder has total surface area equal to 600π. Show that the volume, Vcm3, of this cylinder is given by the formula V=300πr−πr3, where r cm is the radius of the cylinder.
    Find the maximum volume of such a cylinder

n=pi

5. May 6, 2009 #4
    well the formula for the volume of a cylinder = v= 2\pir^2 + 2\pirh so if I set that equal to 600\pi, what do I do after that?

6. May 6, 2009 #5

so If I solve for 'h' from 600\pi = 2\pir^2 + 2\pirh I get; 300-r^2/r = h,

600\pi = 2\pir^2 + 2\pi(300-r^2)/r -----that does not simplify to the desired expression, what did I do wrong?

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  7. May 7, 2009 #6
    Actually h=(300-r^2)/r not 300-r^2/r

I don't even know which formula you are trying to substitute the h in. You need to put the h in the general formula for the area of a any cylinder.

8. May 8, 2009 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It looks like you have solve the area equation for h in terms of r and the replace h in the area equation! You want to replace h in the volume equation so as to get a formula for volume in terms of r only. The volume of a cylinder, of base radius r and height h, is [itex]V= \pi r^2 h[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook