Volume in the First Octant

• Thread starter Punkyc7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume in the first octant bounded by certain planes. The conversation also explores the use of geometry and calculus to solve the problem and suggests drawing a picture to better understand the solid. The expert suggests switching the two integrands and carefully visualizing the problem to find the correct answer of 2/3.
Punkyc7
Find the volume in the first octant bounded by the planes x+z=1 and y+2z=2. My question is where am I going wrong because when I use geometry I get the right answer but when I use calculus I do not.

So I solve for z and get
z=1-x
z=1-y/2

solve for y I get
y=2x

I set my first Double integral as
[tex]\int[/tex] from 0to2 [tex]\int[/tex] from 0toy/2 of 1-x dxdy

For my second integral I set up
[tex]\int[/tex] from 0to1 [tex]\int[/tex] 0to2x of1-y/2 dydx

solve those and I get 4/3 but the answer should be 2/3 because the volume is a Pyramid V=1/3 base area *height

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest you draw a picture of the solid. Your inner limits are wrong on both integrals as you will see from a picture.

I did draw a picture, that's how I knew it was a pyramid, so its the inner limits

Perhaps it is just that you have your two integrands switched. Your regions don't coincide with the correct portions of the "roofs".

You basically have
a function
[tex]z=g(x)[/tex]
and another
[tex]y=f(z)[/tex]

the integral you search is:

[tex]\int_{0}^{x_0}\int_{0}^{g(x)}f(z)\ dz \ dx[/tex]

where [tex]x_0[/tex] is the endpoint on the x axis.

If you solve it, you actually get 2/3.

I read you draw the solid, but you really carefully need to visualize, what you are integrating, in which variable, in which direction.
The inner integral sums towards z lines parallel to y.
The outer integral sums toward x areas parallel to the yz plane.
Writing all in neat Latex code really helps finding mistakes.
Hope it helps.

What is the first octant?

The first octant is a three-dimensional space that is defined by positive values for all three coordinates (x, y, z). It is the portion of space that lies in the positive x, y, and z axes.

What is volume in the first octant?

Volume in the first octant refers to the amount of space that is contained within the boundaries of the first octant. It is typically measured in cubic units such as cubic inches or cubic meters.

How is volume calculated in the first octant?

The volume in the first octant can be calculated by using the formula V = (x)(y)(z), where x, y, and z are the length, width, and height of the given shape within the first octant.

What types of shapes can be found in the first octant?

The first octant can contain a variety of shapes such as cubes, rectangular prisms, cylinders, and cones. As long as the shape's coordinates fall within the positive x, y, and z axes, it can exist in the first octant.

Why is volume in the first octant important in science?

Volume in the first octant is important in science because it allows scientists to accurately measure and describe the amount of space occupied by an object or substance. This information can be used to make predictions and understand the properties and behavior of the object or substance.