What Does Volume V Represent in Thermodynamics?

In summary, the volume V is the region of space containing all particles being studied, the smallest possible region of which must be connected, and it is the volume enclosed by the surroundings of the system.
berra
I am confused over what the volume V stands for in thermodynamics.
Is it the smallest possible region of space containing all particles being studied? If so does it have to be connected?
Is it the volume enclosed by the surroundings of the system? If so, i thought the system was supposed to be fixed over time, but then why does one define quantities such as dV?
I hope you understand my confusion and can help me understand.

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Usually, it is assumed that the fluid is constrained to be in some fixed volume - the interior of a box, for example. That volume can change (the box can expand for example).
If you have two disconnected regions, they cannot exchange particles and pressure, so it is better to treat them as two different volumes V1, V2.

I want to explore the phase shift from gas to liquid along the wall of a container (its cold outside it). I guess I would have to have a semiopen system then, since the liquid only arises on the wall. But then what is the volume of the system so I can look at the phase diagram and see if it has a phase change? (I was thinking of getting T and p from Navier Stokes)

You can consider a large chunk of gas, where the volume change due to condensation is negligible.
Common phase diagrams are p and T only.

berra said:
I want to explore the phase shift from gas to liquid along the wall of a container (its cold outside it). I guess I would have to have a semiopen system then, since the liquid only arises on the wall. But then what is the volume of the system so I can look at the phase diagram and see if it has a phase change? (I was thinking of getting T and p from Navier Stokes)

In the system you are considering, the temperature and water vapor partial pressure are not uniform within the container. Typically, there will be a thin boundary layer region near the wall in which the temperature varies rapidly from the bulk value for the chamber to the colder value at the wall, and in which the water vapor partial pressure varies rapidly from the bulk value for the chamber to the lower partial pressure value at the wall. Immediately at the wall, the water partial pressure is at the equilibrium value with the wall temperature. The rate of heat transfer from the bulk of the chamber to the wall depends on the thickness of the thermal boundary layer and temperature difference across the boundary layer, and the rate of water vapor mass transfer to the wall depends on the thickness of the concentration boundary layer and the vapor pressure difference across the boundary layer.

What is volume in thermodynamics?

Volume in thermodynamics refers to the amount of space occupied by a substance. It is an important parameter in thermodynamic calculations as it affects the pressure, temperature, and density of a substance.

How is volume related to pressure and temperature in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, the relationship between volume, pressure, and temperature is described by the Ideal Gas Law: PV = nRT. This equation states that at a constant temperature and number of moles, the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its pressure. Additionally, at a constant pressure and number of moles, the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature.

What is specific volume in thermodynamics?

Specific volume, also known as volume per unit mass, is a measure of the amount of space occupied by a unit mass of substance. It is calculated by dividing the volume by the mass of the substance. Specific volume is commonly used in thermodynamic calculations to compare the properties of different substances.

How does volume change during a phase change in thermodynamics?

During a phase change, such as melting or boiling, the volume of a substance remains constant. This is because the energy being added or removed is being used to break or form intermolecular forces, rather than changing the volume of the substance. This is known as the latent heat of fusion or vaporization.

Can volume be negative in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, volume is a positive quantity and cannot be negative. This is because volume is a measure of physical space and cannot have a negative value. However, in some thermodynamic equations, a change in volume can be represented by a negative value, indicating a decrease in volume.