Volume Injected into Capillary

In summary, for an experiment involving injecting fluid into a capillary, the pressure, volume injected, and relevant equations were provided. After calculations, it was found that the volume injected was 37.676 m^3, which is incorrect. Upon further examination, it was discovered that the formula was missing a factor for capillary length.
nayanm

Homework Statement

So for an experiment, we injected a small volume of fluid into a capillary (76 micrometer diameter) through a pressure difference and I'm trying to calculate exactly how much was injected.

diameter of capillary = 76e-6 m
height one end was raised above the other = 5.334 cm = 0.05334 m
density of the fluid = .997 g/mL
viscosity of the fluid = 1 g/(m*s) = 0.001 kg/(m*s)
elapsed time during injection = 31 s
capillary length = 78 cm = 0.78 m

Homework Equations

The formulas we are given are:
pressure = (density) * (gravitational constant) * (change in height)
volume injected = (pressure * pi * d^4 * t)/(128 * viscosity * capillary length) <-- Poiseuille's Law

The Attempt at a Solution

Based on my calculations, I'm getting:

P = (997 kg/m^3)*(9.81 m/s^2)*(0.05334 m) = 521.7 Pa
V = (521.7 Pa)(pi)(76e-6 m)(31s)/(128 * .001 kg/(m*s) * .780 m) = 37.676 m^3

Clearly, we didn't inject anywhere close to that much into a tiny capillary, so where am I going wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
nayanm said:
diameter of capillary = 76e-6 m
volume injected = (pressure * pi * d^4 * t)/(128 * viscosity * capillary length) <-- Poiseuille's Law
V = (521.7 Pa)(pi)(76e-6 m)(31s)/(128 * .001 kg/(m*s) * .780 m) = 37.676 m^3
Is there something you forgot?

haruspex said:
Is there something you forgot?

Yes. My dignity.

Thank you so much. I can't believe I didn't catch that.

1) What is the definition of Volume Injected into Capillary?

Volume Injected into Capillary refers to the amount of liquid or gas that is introduced into a capillary tube or channel. It is typically measured in microliters (µL) or nanoliters (nL).

2) How is Volume Injected into Capillary measured?

Volume Injected into Capillary can be measured using a variety of methods, including manual pipetting, automated liquid handling systems, or microfluidic devices. The most accurate and precise method will depend on the specific experiment or application.

3) What factors can affect the accuracy of Volume Injected into Capillary?

The accuracy of Volume Injected into Capillary can be affected by several factors, including the type of liquid or gas being injected, the size and material of the capillary tube, and the technique used for injection. It is important to carefully control these variables to ensure accurate results.

4) What is the importance of Volume Injected into Capillary in scientific research?

Volume Injected into Capillary is a crucial parameter in many scientific experiments and studies, particularly in the fields of microfluidics, drug delivery, and biotechnology. It allows for precise control and manipulation of small volumes of fluids, which is essential for many applications and analyses.

5) Are there any safety considerations when working with Volume Injected into Capillary?

Yes, there are several safety considerations to keep in mind when working with Volume Injected into Capillary. The most important is to handle all liquids and gases with caution, as they may be hazardous. It is also important to properly dispose of any used capillary tubes and to follow all safety protocols and guidelines set by the laboratory or institution.