1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume integral of cone

1. Oct 11, 2011 #1
    I have the cone x^2 + y^2 <= z^2 with |z| <= 2
    The vector function F = (4x, 3z, 5y)

With the divergence theorem I managed to reduce the equation to
    ∫∫∫ 4 dxdydz

Now the problem is finding out the limits. I know z goes from 0 to 2, but what about x and y?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You haven't stated the problem. Are you calculating a flux integral? You might try writing your volume integral in cylindrical coordinates.

4. Oct 11, 2011 #3
    The question asks to evaluate ∫F.ndA by the divergence theorem. I can just take a shortcut and use the general formula for cone volume, but I was wondering if there are known limits for the integrals.

5. Oct 11, 2011 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Of course there are. Integrate z first from z on the cone to z on the top and use polar coordinates for the dxdy integral. That is why I suggested cylindrical coordinates.

6. Oct 12, 2011 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your integral is very simple and can be evaluated without explicitly determining the limits of each integral. (Hint: what is the integral of dV of a cone over the entire volume of the cone?)

7. Oct 12, 2011 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Apparently he already knows that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook