Volume Integral of Cone

In summary, the conversation is discussing the cone x^2 + y^2 <= z^2 with |z| <= 2 and the vector function F = (4x, 3z, 5y). The divergence theorem is used to reduce the equation to ∫∫∫ 4 dxdydz, but the problem lies in finding the limits of the integral. The question asks to evaluate ∫F.ndA using the divergence theorem, but the questioner is wondering if there are known limits for the integrals. The other participant suggests using cylindrical coordinates and hints at a simpler way to evaluate the integral.
geft
I have the cone x^2 + y^2 <= z^2 with |z| <= 2
The vector function F = (4x, 3z, 5y)

With the divergence theorem I managed to reduce the equation to
∫∫∫ 4 dxdydz

Now the problem is finding out the limits. I know z goes from 0 to 2, but what about x and y?

Physics news on Phys.org
geft said:
I have the cone x^2 + y^2 <= z^2 with |z| <= 2
The vector function F = (4x, 3z, 5y)

With the divergence theorem I managed to reduce the equation to
∫∫∫ 4 dxdydz

Now the problem is finding out the limits. I know z goes from 0 to 2, but what about x and y?

You haven't stated the problem. Are you calculating a flux integral? You might try writing your volume integral in cylindrical coordinates.

The question asks to evaluate ∫F.ndA by the divergence theorem. I can just take a shortcut and use the general formula for cone volume, but I was wondering if there are known limits for the integrals.

geft said:
The question asks to evaluate ∫F.ndA by the divergence theorem. I can just take a shortcut and use the general formula for cone volume, but I was wondering if there are known limits for the integrals.

Of course there are. Integrate z first from z on the cone to z on the top and use polar coordinates for the dxdy integral. That is why I suggested cylindrical coordinates.

Your integral is very simple and can be evaluated without explicitly determining the limits of each integral. (Hint: what is the integral of dV of a cone over the entire volume of the cone?)

geft said:

SteamKing said:
Your integral is very simple and can be evaluated without explicitly determining the limits of each integral. (Hint: what is the integral of dV of a cone over the entire volume of the cone?)

Apparently he already knows that.

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume integral of a cone?

The volume integral of a cone can be calculated using the formula V = 1/3 * π * r^2 * h, where r is the radius of the base and h is the height of the cone.

2. How is the volume integral of a cone related to the volume of a cone?

The volume integral of a cone is the mathematical representation of the volume of a cone. It takes into account the changing cross-sectional area of the cone as the height increases.

3. What is the purpose of finding the volume integral of a cone?

The volume integral of a cone is used in many real-world applications, such as calculating the volume of a cone-shaped container or determining the amount of material needed to fill a cone-shaped hole.

4. How does the shape of the cone affect its volume integral?

The volume integral of a cone is directly affected by the shape of the cone, specifically its radius and height. As these values change, the volume integral will also change accordingly.

5. Can the volume integral of a cone be negative?

No, the volume integral of a cone cannot be negative. It represents the volume of a physical object, which cannot have a negative value.