What is the closed volume integral symbol in Microsoft Word?

In summary: But, for the purposes of this conversation, a closed volume is one that is bounded by a surface. So, for example, the interior of a sphere is closed.
STEMucator
Homework Helper
Hi everyone.

I've been curious about a particular symbol, but I've never seen it used or mentioned in any context. I don't really have much information about its usage, so I thought I would ask around and see if anyone knew about its application.

Screen Shot 2015-09-19 at 3.10.24 PM.png

I saw this symbol in Microsoft word.

How do we interpret it, and how do we use it?

I'm familiar with closed surface integrals with differential elements ##d \vec S##. We use those when we want to calculate the flux of a field ##\vec F##. I'm also familiar with closed surface integrals with differential elements ##dS##. We use those when we want to calculate surface area.

What about the closed volume integral above though?

I know we should probably use a differential element ##dV## for a closed volume, and the answer would represent the volume of the object. Is there such thing as a differential volume element ##d \vec V## such that we can extend theorems to the fourth dimension (theorem's like Stoke's theorem and the Divergence theorem)?

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the dash box is simply for inserting your integrand.

Its up to you to remember the dV part.

There is a seldom used math symbol called the delambertian that's used in relativity that is the 4D version of the del operator but this isn't it.

Zondrina, I think you're asking about the integration symbol, not the box to the right. According to this page, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integral_symbol, that's a closed volume integral. I don't know much more about it, and a quick web search didn't turn up much.

So the only reason the loop is around the triple integral is to signify the volume is closed.

Does that mean something like the divergence theorem can be written like so:

Screen Shot 2015-09-19 at 6.09.47 PM.png

For a closed volume ##V## such as ##x^2 + y^2 + z^2 \leq 1##.

For a volume ##V## that isn't closed such as ##x^2 + y^2 + z^2 < 1##, would the theorem would take the form:

Screen Shot 2015-09-19 at 6.12.46 PM.png

Otherwise I don't see any reason to ever have to use the symbol mentioned in the OP.

Last edited:
I don't know what is meant by "closed volume". What is the difference between a closed volume and an open volume?

In three dimensions there is no such thing as a "closed volume". There can be in higher dimensions, of course.

1. What does the volume integral symbol represent?

The volume integral symbol, ∫∫∫, represents a mathematical operation used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional object or region.

2. How is the volume integral symbol different from the regular integral symbol?

The volume integral symbol is a triple integral, meaning it has three variables and is used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional object. The regular integral symbol, on the other hand, is a single integral and is used to calculate the area under a curve.

3. What are the limits of integration in a volume integral?

The limits of integration in a volume integral are the boundaries of the region or object being measured. These can be represented by different variables such as x, y, and z.

4. How is the volume integral symbol used in physics?

In physics, the volume integral symbol is used to calculate quantities such as mass, charge, and energy within a three-dimensional region. It is also used in the calculation of flux and divergence in vector calculus.

5. Can the volume integral symbol be used to calculate the volume of irregular shapes?

Yes, the volume integral symbol can be used to calculate the volume of irregular shapes as long as the limits of integration are defined for the specific shape. It is a powerful tool for calculating volumes of complex objects or regions that cannot be easily measured by traditional methods.