1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume integral

1. Jan 14, 2006 #1
    Trying to do this question: 'Evaluate the volume of the following solids... A curved wedge that is cut from a cylinder of radius 3m by two planes. One plane is perpendicular to the axis of the cylinder. The other plane crosses the first plane at 45 degree angle at the centre of the cylinder.'

My problem is that I am not sure what the question is asking... does it just mean a sector? In which case it would just be 9/8*Pi*length or is it something else?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think it's the volume enclosed by the cylinder and the two planes. There are two encosed volumes, but they have equal shapes.

I'd take the cylinder [itex]x^2+y^2=r^2[/itex] and the xy-plane. You pick the other plane. And draw a picture ofcourse.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?