1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume Integral

1. Apr 15, 2005 #1

"Find the volume of the region enclosed between the survaces [tex]z=x^2 + y^2 [/tex] and [tex]z=2x[/tex]"

I figured that the simplest way of doing this was to switch to a cylindrical co-ordinate system. Can someone check that the limits of integration are then
    [tex]-\frac{\pi}{2}\leq \theta \leq\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]
    [tex]0\leq\ r \leq 2\cos(\theta)[/tex]
    [tex]r^2\leq\ z \leq 2 r \cos(\theta) [/tex]
    (and the jacobian being r)

Thanks greatfully
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

z= 2x is a plane and forms the top of the figure. You are correct that you should use cylindrical coordinates. But z= x2+ y2 is a paraboloid. it's interesection with z= 2x is z= 2x= x2[/wsup]+ y2 or x2- 2x+ 1 + y2= (x-1)2+ y2 = 1 which, projected down in to the xy-plane is the circle with center (1,0) and radius 1. In cylindrical coordinates, x2+ y2= 2x is r2= 2rcos θ or
    r= 2 cos &theta. THAT is the fomula you need.
  4. Apr 15, 2005 #3

Unless I'm missing something (which is entirely possible), is that not what I have?
  5. Apr 15, 2005 #4

Homework Helper

Yes, I believe your limits of integration are correct.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?