Solving a Tough Integral: Volume of First Octant Region

In summary, the author is trying to solve an integral for the volume of a region bounded by a set of cylindrical surfaces, and he is unsure of the proper limits in terms of x and y. The author has found the z-coordinate, and is trying to find the volume integral. He has found that the limits are ##0 ≤ z ≤ c(1 - \frac{x^2}{a^2}),## where ##a^2##, ##b^2##, and ##c^2## are the dimensions of the cylinders. The author has drawn a picture of his domain and surfaces in the xy plane, and has found that the limits are reasonable.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

I ran into this tough integral. I am asked to compute the volume of the following region using a double integral with ##a, b, c > 0##.

The first octant region bounded by the co-ordinate planes ##x=0##, ##y=0##, ##z=0## and the cylinders ##a^2y = b(a^2-x^2)## and ##a^2z = c(a^2-x^2)##.

Homework Equations

$$V = \int \int_R f(x,y) dA$$

The Attempt at a Solution

They want this solved as a Cartesian integral, so the first thing I did was find ##z##:

$$a^2z = c(a^2-x^2) \Rightarrow z = c(1 - \frac{x^2}{a^2})$$

Hence we want the volume integral:

$$V = \int \int_R f(x,y) dA = \int \int_R c(1 - \frac{x^2}{a^2}) dA$$

Now I'm not entirely certain what the proper limits are in terms of ##x## and ##y##. If we consider the other cylinder ##a^2y = b(a^2-x^2)## with ##y=0##, we get:

$$0= b(a^2-x^2) \Rightarrow x = \pm a$$

If ##x = 0##, then:

$$a^2y = ba^2 \Rightarrow y = b$$

So I get the limits ##0 ≤ x ≤ a## and ##0 ≤ y ≤ b##. Are these limits reasonable?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Zondrina said:

Homework Statement

I ran into this tough integral. I am asked to compute the volume of the following region using a double integral with ##a, b, c > 0##.

The first octant region bounded by the co-ordinate planes ##x=0##, ##y=0##, ##z=0## and the cylinders ##a^2y = b(a^2-x^2)## and ##a^2z = c(a^2-x^2)##.

Homework Equations

$$V = \int \int_R f(x,y) dA$$

The Attempt at a Solution

They want this solved as a Cartesian integral, so the first thing I did was find ##z##:

$$a^2z = c(a^2-x^2) \Rightarrow z = c(1 - \frac{x^2}{a^2})$$

Hence we want the volume integral:

$$V = \int \int_R f(x,y) dA = \int \int_R c(1 - \frac{x^2}{a^2}) dA$$

Now I'm not entirely certain what the proper limits are in terms of ##x## and ##y##. If we consider the other cylinder ##a^2y = b(a^2-x^2)## with ##y=0##, we get:

$$0= b(a^2-x^2) \Rightarrow x = \pm a$$

If ##x = 0##, then:

$$a^2y = ba^2 \Rightarrow y = b$$

So I get the limits ##0 ≤ x ≤ a## and ##0 ≤ y ≤ b##. Are these limits reasonable?

No, those limits are not reasonable. They would describe a rectangle in the xy plane. Have you drawn a picture of your surfaces and your domain in the xy plane?

LCKurtz said:
No, those limits are not reasonable. They would describe a rectangle in the xy plane. Have you drawn a picture of your surfaces and your domain in the xy plane?

Something just occurred to me... those are not cylinders. Even re-arranging the givens does not give you a cylinder.

$$\frac{y}{b} + \frac{x^2}{a^2} = 1$$
$$\frac{z}{c} + \frac{x^2}{a^2} = 1$$

It's true they aren't cylinders, but they are cylindrical surfaces. Like I asked before, have you drawn any pictures?

Should look like this right:

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1409244728.493717.jpg

That dotted line is poorly drawn.

Last edited:
The whole thing is poorly drawn. But what you need is a picture of the domain in the xy plane with equations and intercepts labelled. That's where you will find the proper xy limits. And you might also identify the type of curves you are drawing. They aren't circles...

LCKurtz said:
The whole thing is poorly drawn. But what you need is a picture of the domain in the xy plane with equations and intercepts labelled. That's where you will find the proper xy limits. And you might also identify the type of curves you are drawing. They aren't circles...

They are parabolas.

I have ##z = c(1 - \frac{x^2}{a^2})##, under it I have the x-y surface given by:
$$a^2y = b(a^2 - x^2) \Rightarrow y = b(1 - \frac{x^2}{a^2})$$

These are equal when ##b = c##.

LCKurtz said:

Zondrina said:
They are parabolas.

I have ##z = c(1 - \frac{x^2}{a^2})##, under it I have the x-y surface given by:
$$a^2y = b(a^2 - x^2) \Rightarrow y = b(1 - \frac{x^2}{a^2})$$

These are equal when ##b = c##.

But you don't have b = c. At the risk of repeating myself, read the red above again. You have a portion of a parabola as a boundary of your region. How do you get the limits? It's a simple calc II problem.

LCKurtz said:
But you don't have b = c. At the risk of repeating myself, read the red above again. You have a portion of a parabola as a boundary of your region. How do you get the limits? It's a simple calc II problem.

You read them right off the graph. I must clearly be misunderstanding something, because even reading them off a graph gives me ##0 ≤ x ≤ a## and ##0 ≤ y ≤ b(1 - \frac{x^2}{a^2})##.

Last edited:
I believe those are the correct limits in my post above now. Sorry for the double.

Zondrina said:
You read them right off the graph. I must clearly be misunderstanding something, because even reading them off a graph gives me ##0 ≤ x ≤ a## and ##0 ≤ y ≤ b(1 - \frac{x^2}{a^2})##.

Those are the correct limits, assuming you use the dydx order in your double integral. In your original post you had ##0\le x \le a## and ##0\le y \le b## which described a rectangle. What are you still misunderstanding?

Likes 1 person
LCKurtz said:
Those are the correct limits, assuming you use the dydx order in your double integral. In your original post you had ##0\le x \le a## and ##0\le y \le b## which described a rectangle. What are you still misunderstanding?

I misunderstand why the question is so poorly designed. I was under the impression i was projecting cylinders.

Turns out that wasn't the case.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical operation used to calculate the area under a curve or the volume of a three-dimensional shape.

2. How do you solve a tough integral?

Solving a tough integral involves using various techniques such as integration by parts, substitution, and trigonometric identities. It also requires a deep understanding of the fundamental principles of integration.

3. What is the volume of a first octant region?

The volume of a first octant region is the space enclosed by a three-dimensional shape in the first octant, which is defined as the region where all three coordinates (x, y, z) are positive.

4. What are the steps to find the volume of a first octant region using an integral?

The steps to find the volume of a first octant region using an integral are:

1. Set up the integral by identifying the bounds of integration for each variable (x, y, z).
  2. Evaluate the integral using appropriate integration techniques.
  3. If necessary, break the integral into smaller parts and add them together to find the total volume.

5. Why is finding the volume of a first octant region important?

Finding the volume of a first octant region is important in many areas of science and engineering, such as calculating the volume of a container, determining the amount of a substance in a solution, or finding the volume of a solid object. It is also a fundamental skill in advanced mathematics and physics courses.