1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume integration

1. Feb 25, 2005 #1
    Calculate the volume generated when the region bounded by the curve y = 9 - X^2 , the line X = 2 and the x-axis is rotated 2pi about the y-axis.

For the part that lies in the second quadrant, i can integrate 9 to 0, then plug it into the volume formula. Then i have to add the volume of the part in the first quadrant. But since the X = 2 line slices a part of the area off i dunno how to integrate it respective to the y axis.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2005 #2
    Try using the method of cylindrical shells which should be outlined in your book.

Graph the region that is described. This is simple to do,, draw a downward porabola with y intercept at y=9, and a vertical line at x=2. The region you want to consider is the region in the first quadrant that lies under the porabola and over the x axis and between the lines x=2 and x=3.

hint:
    the height of a shell will be 9 - x^2
    the radius of the shell is x, so the circumference is 2(pi)x
    the thickness of the shell is dx
    you need to sum up all the shells with radius from x=2 to x=3

I hope I haven't given too much away.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2005
  4. Feb 25, 2005 #3

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually, you want the interval from 2 to 3.

The region would have to also be bounded by x=0 if you were going from 0 to 2.

5. Feb 25, 2005 #4
    Yes, thank you BobG! I overlooked that.

P.S. I will edit my post so as not to cause confusion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?