What is the volume obtained by rotating a region bounded by a given curve?

In summary: So, in summary, the problem given is to find the volume obtained by rotating the region bounded by the curves y = secx and y = cosx, with 0 <= x <= pi/3, about the line x = -1. The setup involves using the radii of the cross-sectional disks as secx - (-1) and cosx - (-1), and the integrand is sec^2(x)-cos^2(x).
Jbreezy

Homework Statement

Find the volume obtained by rotating the regon boudned by the given curve about the specified axis

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

y = secx, y = cosx, 0 <= x < = pi/3

This is what I set up.

V = ∏∫ (secx +1 )^2 - (cosx +1)^2 dx

I said R was secx - (-1) and r is cosx -(-1)

Physics news on Phys.org
Jbreezy said:

Homework Statement

Find the volume obtained by rotating the regon boudned by the given curve about the specified axis

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

y = secx, y = cosx, 0 <= x < = pi/3

This is what I set up.

V = ∏∫ (secx +1 )^2 - (cosx +1)^2 dx

I said R was secx - (-1) and r is cosx -(-1)

Looks OK, assuming you are rotating the region about the line y = -1, which is info you didn't provide. When you post a problem, remember to include the complete problem statement.

Yeah I'm doing it about x = -1. Thanks dude. Sorry.

Why the 1's?
The radii in the cross-sectional disks are specified with the function values.
Thus, your integrand is sec^2(x)-cos^2(x)

I assumed it was about y=0

Yeah well that is because I made a mistake in my post and left out that is was about y = -1.

Jbreezy said:
Yeah I'm doing it about x = -1. Thanks dude. Sorry.

Jbreezy said:
Yeah well that is because I made a mistake in my post and left out that is was about y = -1.

Apparently you aren't clear, either.

Ha. Lack of sleep

1. What is the definition of volume in science?

Volume is the measure of the amount of space an object occupies. It is usually measured in cubic units, such as cubic meters or cubic centimeters.

2. How is volume calculated?

The formula for calculating volume varies depending on the shape of the object. For regular shapes like cubes or rectangular prisms, volume can be calculated by multiplying the length, width, and height. For irregular shapes, you can use techniques like displacement or water displacement to find the volume.

3. What is the difference between volume and capacity?

Volume and capacity are often used interchangeably, but they actually have different meanings. Volume refers to the amount of space an object occupies, while capacity refers to the maximum amount of a substance that an object can hold.

4. Can you have negative volume?

No, volume is always a positive quantity. If the object's shape allows for it, the volume may be zero, but it cannot be negative.

5. How is volume related to density?

Volume and density are inversely related. As volume increases, density decreases and vice versa. This means that if you have two objects with the same mass, the one with the larger volume will have a lower density.