1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume: is this ok?

1. Jan 15, 2006 #1
    Hi,

I have to

Compute volume of the solid

[tex]
    A = \left\{ [x,y,z] \in \mathbb{R}^3, 0 \leq z, x+ y+z \leq 1, z \leq xy, x \geq 0, y \geq 0\right\}
    [/tex]

I draw it..and the important step is to find out, where is [itex]z[/itex] bounded with either of [itex]x+ y+z \leq 1[/itex] or [itex]z \leq xy[/itex]. To find out the dividing points, in which the second of those inequalities gets the rule, I did as follows:

[tex]
    1-x-y = xy
    [/tex]

[tex]
    x(y+1)=1-y
    [/tex]

[tex]
    x = \frac{1-y}{1+y}
    [/tex]

So for fixed [itex]y[/itex], if

[tex]
    x \leq \frac{1-y}{1+y}
    [/tex]

then [itex]z[/itex] is bounded by [itex]z \leq xy[/itex]. In the remaining area, [itex]x+ y+z \leq 1[/itex] sets the upper bound for [itex]z[/itex].

So it gives me two integrals, the sum of which will be the volume I am supposed to get:

[tex]
    I = \iiint_{A}1 \ dx\ dy\ dz = I_1 + I_2 = \int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{\frac{1-y}{1+y}}\int_{0}^{xy}1\ dz\ dx\ dy\ +\ \int_{0}^{1}\int_{\frac{1-y}{1+y}}^{1}\int_{0}^{1-x-y} 1\ dz\ dx\ dy
    [/tex]

If this is correct approach, then in the official solution on web there is a mistake, since these two integrals I can already check in Maple and I computed them right.

Is this ok?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2006 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

I think your upper limit on x for the second integral should be 1-y instead of 1
    [tex]
    \int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{\frac{1-y}{1+y}}\int_{0}^{xy}1\ dz\ dx\ dy\ +\ \int_{0}^{1}\int_{\frac{1-y}{1+y}}^{1-y}\int_{0}^{1-x-y} 1\ dz\ dx\ dy
    [/tex]
    -Dale

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?