1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of a cone

1. Jul 17, 2005 #1
    Can someone help me with this problem?:

We will define a cone in n-dimensions as a figure with a cross - section along its height [tex]X_n [/tex] that has a constant shape, but each of its dimensions is shrunk linearly to 0.

a)let D be a cone in [tex] R^n [/tex] with height h [tex] (ie. [/tex] [tex] X_n [/tex] [tex] \epsilon [/tex] [tex] [0, h]) [/tex] and let the volume of its cross-section at h=0 be [tex] V_o [/tex]. Find the volume of D in terms of [tex]V_o [/tex].

b)Find the volume of the region defined by [tex]|x_1| +...+ |x_n| \le r [/tex] in [tex] R^n [/tex], using a)
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

(a) The "volume" of an n-1 figure is proportional to the product of the dimensions. Since the dimensions depend linearly on z (you used h as both height of the entire cone and the variable in that direction- I'm going to call thevariable z) and goes to 0 at z= h, the cross section volume is proportional to (h-z)n-1. Since the volume at z= 0 is V0, we must have [tex]V(0)=V_0(\frac{h-z}{h})^{n-1}[/tex]. The "n-dimensional" volume of a thin "slab" of thickness Δz will be [tex]V_0(\frac{h-z}{h})^{n-1}\Delta z[/tex]. Convert that to an integral.

(b) What does this volume look like? Sketch it for n= 1, 2, 3.
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2005
  4. Jul 18, 2005 #3
    thanks for the response. just to clarify, when it says the "volume of its cross section at h=0 is [tex] V_o [/tex], is it really refering to the "area" of the cross section? (eg. if we're talking about 3 dimensions)? its sort of hard to visualize.

i still don't get how to do b). so if n=1, the volume is a line, if n=2, its a triangle, and if n=3, its the cone we're used to, right? i don't know how to work with the given region [tex]|x_1| +...+ |x_n| \le r [/tex]. is "r" just some constant??
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?