Volume of a Cube: Integrating s3 vs. s^3/3

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of volumes, specifically the integration of a cylinder's volume and a cube's volume. The speaker is able to integrate the volume of a cylinder using \int^{L}_{0}\pi r^{2} dL, but is unable to integrate the volume of a cube using \int^{s}_{0}s^{2} ds. They are confused as to why this method does not work and believe it should work based on their understanding of integrating volumes. However, the expert points out that the last integral should be \int_{0}^{s} s^2 \; dx, where s is a constant and the integral is being carried out along the interval [0, s].
DocZaius
Note this is not a homework assignment. I was generally learning about integrating volumes and thought that after being able to integrate the volume of a cylinder

[tex]\int^{L}_{0}\pi r^{2} dL[/tex]

That I maybe could integrate the volume of a cube in a simple way:

[tex]\int^{s}_{0}s^{2} ds[/tex]

Yet that results in [tex]\frac{s^{3}}{3}[/tex] and not the correct [tex]s^{3}[/tex]

I don't understand why. I am taking the area of a slice of infinitesmall thickness (ds) and integrating it over the length of the cube. Seems to me to be the technique of integration for volumes. Where does my thinking go wrong?

Please note that I do realize the main difference between the integration of the volume of a cylinder and a cube is that the length of the cylinder is a separate variable from its radius. Despite being aware of this key difference, I still do not understand why the cube integration would not work even though the same variable is used.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DocZaius said:
That I maybe could integrate the volume of a cube in a simple way:

[tex]\int^{s}_{0}s^{2} ds[/tex]

Yet that results in [tex]\frac{s^{3}}{3}[/tex] and not the correct [tex]s^{3}[/tex]

I don't understand why. I am taking the area of a slice of infinitesmall thickness (ds) and integrating it over the length of the cube. Seems to me to be the technique of integration for volumes. Where does my thinking go wrong?

Thanks!

The last inegral should be

[tex]\int_{0}^{s} s^2 \; dx[/tex]

s is a constant, but the integral is being carried out along the interval [0, s].

--Elucidus

Thanks!

What is the formula for calculating the volume of a cube?

The formula for calculating the volume of a cube is V = s^3, where s is the length of one side of the cube.

What does "s3" represent in the formula for calculating the volume of a cube?

"s3" represents the length of one side of the cube cubed, meaning it is multiplied by itself three times.

What does "s^3/3" represent in the formula for calculating the volume of a cube?

"s^3/3" represents the length of one side of the cube cubed, divided by 3. This is an alternative formula for calculating the volume of a cube, and can be used when the length of one side is not known.

Which formula is more accurate for calculating the volume of a cube?

Both formulas, V = s^3 and V = s^3/3, are accurate for calculating the volume of a cube. The choice of which formula to use depends on the information provided and the preference of the scientist.

Are there any other formulas for calculating the volume of a cube?

Yes, there is also a formula for calculating the volume of a cube using the surface area. This formula is V = (SA/6)^3, where SA is the surface area of the cube. However, this formula is not commonly used and is only applicable when the surface area is known.