Volume of a cylinder by integration

In summary, the conversation is about trying to calculate the volume of material that was shaved off a solid cylindrical temperature thermowell. The known dimensions of the cylinder are a diameter of 1.1 cm and a height of 0.8 cm. The cut was made at an angle of approximately 63 degrees and exited the thermowell 0.8 cm down from the top. The conversation includes several attempts at finding the missing volume, including using a graph and equations to parametrize the surface and using a shell argument. Ultimately, there is still uncertainty about the correct solution.
johnnyv
please forgive me, because i haven't done this in quite some time. :confused: any help is appreciated.

i'm trying to calculate the volume of material that was shaved off a solid cylindrical temperature thermowell. looking from the side, a triangular portion was cut off at an angle from the top down.

knowns:
the diameter of the cylinder is 1.1 cm
the height of the cylinder is 0.8 cm

looking top down at the cylinder, perpendicular to the measured diameter, the circle is cut 0.4 cm from the side of the cylinder, leaving the remaining 0.7 cm intact.

the cut was at such an angle (approx 63 deg by my calcs) that it exited the thermowell 0.8 cm down from the top.

what is the missing volume? as mentioned before, any help is appreciated...

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the picture I attached. I think you need to find the equation of the right line (the cut), then revolve that line around the Y axis and find the created volume. Divide that volume by half, and substract it from half of the volume of the original cylinder.

Actually, ignore this. I'm wrong... :rolleyes: I'll try to think of something else.

Attachments

• cyld.gif
    cyld.gif
    5.4 KB · Views: 847
Ok, what about this? I've rotated the axes system so that the line I was previously talking about now lies on the Y axis. You need to find the equations of the two dashed lines, and revolve them around the new Y axis. The volume you get divided by half should be the volume that was removed from the cylinder.

Attachments

• cyld2.gif
    cyld2.gif
    6.7 KB · Views: 688
Last edited:
that won't work Chen.. if you do that, you'll be revolving a different shape than what was removed

its hard to explain, but think about it, the shape will be different... you have to revolve it around an axis which is parallel to the long side of the cutout inorder for the shape to be the same

this is certainly an interesting problem tho.. i'll think about it a bit

Falcon said:
that won't work Chen.. if you do that, you'll be revolving a different shape than what was removed

its hard to explain, but think about it, the shape will be different... you have to revolve it around an axis which is parallel to the long side of the cutout inorder for the shape to be the same
Isn't that what I did? By rotating the axes system, I made the Y axis lie on the long side of the cutout... or doesn't it? :confused:

Try this.. rotate sections A about the GREY axis

Attachments

• cylinder.JPG
    cylinder.JPG
    6.4 KB · Views: 545
OK.. i got it now.. let me draw it out so it makes some sense

you can't simply revolve what you see in the red, since it won't fill the entire cylinder

rotate the section you see in the yellow, then subtract B (which will be a triangular prism, plus an erregular shape that is somewhat like a rectangular prism.. which i can't remember the name of.. lol)

EDIT: is what I'm saying making any sense? or am i just sounding crazy?

Attachments

• cylinder2.JPG
    cylinder2.JPG
    5.3 KB · Views: 568
Last edited:
At any rate, I'd be interested to see the correct answer once you find it out, johnnyv.

me, too!

definitely doesn't sound like a simple "plug and chug" type problem...

johnnyv,

Try this. On an x-y cooordinate axis, draw a circle of radius R whose center is below the x -axis by some distance L<R. So part of the circle is above the axis and part is below. Let the height of the part that's above be h = R-L. Now figure out the area A(h) of this part of the circle. The volume you're trying to find will be smiply related to the integral of this function.

johnnyv said:
me, too!

definitely doesn't sound like a simple "plug and chug" type problem...

It is if you konw what to plug into where.

You need to evaluate the intergral of 1 over the volume, it's just finding the equations that parametrize the surface that is tedious. You may assume that the cylinder is centred on the origin and sat on the x-y plane, and that the planar cut's normal lies in the plane y=0 if it helps.

Once you've worked out the surface equations it seems like a plug and chug to do the integral. It won't be very pleasant but, seeing as you've used the phrase 'about 63 degrees' then the answer presumably isn't required to any unreasonable degree of accuracy either.

Of course you could also figure it out using a shell argument: work out the volume of a disc of thickness dz at the point z and integrate the z from 0 to 0.8

Here's what I did, but I think I made a mistake somewhere.

I put a circle into the coordinate system in such a way that the cutting line is parallel with the y axis. By integration I found the formula for the "cut off" area of the circle in relation to c (where c is the x coordinate of the rightmost point where the "cutting" line crosses the circle).

I got this for the area of the "cut off" surface (I don't know the correct mathematical term in English):

S(c) = rc*sqrt(1-c^2/r^2)+r^2*arcsin(c/r) - 2c*sqrt(r^2-c^2)

I think this is correct so far. I then found the relation of c to z so I can integrate the surfaces over z. I positioned the cyllinder in such a way that the top circle of the cyllinder is parallel with xy plane and its z=0.8. That way, when z is 0, c is 0, when z is 0.8, c is cmax. Since c and z are proportional (I think they are):

c(z) = z*cmax/h

So S(z) is the S(c) formula with c(z) instead of c everywhere, I am too lazy to type that. So the volume is the integral from 0 to 0.8 of S(z)dz.

I typed that into the wolfram integrator (replacing z with x because of the program) and got a huge formula (the solution would be http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/6504/integral2.gif [Broken] from 0 to 0.8, but it's probably wrong).

Since all those r, v and h are given numbers it could be simplified, but it is too big and ugly for me to even look at, so I guess I just wasted an hour :( I hope at least I figured out correctly what the question was and what the cyllinder looked like :)

[ r = 0.55, h = 0.8, v = cmax = sqrt(7)/5. ]

Last edited by a moderator:
johnny,

if you actually have the part, and you don't have to be extremely accurate, the easiest way to measure the amount cut off, may be to get another uncut part

then see the difference in the amount of water they displace

good idea. i thought about doing just that, but the replacement part isn't identical to the damaged part, therefore weight and volume comparisons are out the door. :frown:

replacement

The replacement need not be identical in volume, just in proportion to the dimensions of the original. And the density doesn't matter at all.

What is your question?

Do you know what the answer is, either as an expression or a numeric answer?

Ok, here is what I did. I defined an XYZ space as described in the attached image. The equation of the circle in the XY plane, with a radius of 0.55 and the center located at (-0.15, 0) is:

[tex](x + 0.15)^2 + y^2 = 0.55^2[/tex]

The value of Y for every X is then:

[tex]y = \pm \sqrt{-x^2 - 0.3x + 0.28}[/tex]

From now on I will refer to that expression as "sqrt" for sake of simplicity. So now every point on the circle can be described as (x, sqrt, 0.8). I've defined another point (0.4, 0, 0) which is located at the bottom of the cylinder, on the circle's perimeter.

Let's consider two points on the top circle perimeter, A (x, +sqrt, 0.8) and B (x, -sqrt, 0.8), and the bottom point C (0.4, 0, 0). If we connect these points we create a triangle. The missing volume from the clyinder is actually the sum of areas of all these triangles, for x running from 0 (beginning of cut) to 0.4 (end of it).

So first we need to find the expression for the area of those triangles. If we create a vector AC and BC, then the area of the ABC triangle is:

[tex]S_x = \frac{1}{2}|\vec{AC} \times \vec{BC}|[/tex]

Where:
AC = (x - 0.4, +sqrt, 0.8)
BC = (x - 0.4, -sqrt, 0.8)

I don't know how to write the calculation here, so you will just have to trust me that:
AC x BC = (0.8*sqrt, 0, 0.4*sqrt - x*sqrt)
Where x is the X coordinate of the points A and B. So now the magnitude of that vector is:

[tex]|\vec{AC} \times \vec{BC}| = sqrt\sqrt{x^2 - 0.8x + 0.8}[/tex]

And thus the area of every triangle is:

[tex]S_x = \frac{1}{2}|\vec{AC} \times \vec{BC}| = \frac{sqrt}{2}\sqrt{x^2 - 0.8x + 0.8}[/tex]

And if we use the real expression of "sqrt" we get:

[tex]S_x = \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{(-x^2 - 0.3x + 0.28)(x^2 - 0.8x + 0.8)}[/tex]

[tex]S_x = \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{-x^4 + 0.5x^3 - 0.28x^2 - 0.464x + 0.224}[/tex]

And finally, we need to find the sum of all these areas for x from 0 to 0.4:

[tex]V = \frac{1}{2}\sum_{x = 0}^{0.4}S_x = \frac{1}{2}\sum_{x = 0}^{0.4} \sqrt{-x^4 + 0.5x^3 - 0.28x^2 - 0.464x + 0.224}[/tex]

And this is where I'm stuck because I don't know the formulas for the sums of x4 and x3. :frown:

Anyway, I hope this has helped... and not caused too much confusion. I may have gone about this in the wrong way, but I believe it's correct. And at least with this answer you got a definite expression. :smile: Let me know how it works out, and if anyone can spot an error in my logic/calculations please do let me know.

Attachments

• vecapp.gif
    vecapp.gif
    9.6 KB · Views: 634
I think the sqrt buggers up any hope of summing that, Chen.

hmm...

Just take few moments to analyze the two cases (images attached)

if it is the first case you are wondering about, well, then it does need some thought but if it is the second one then it's easy.
1) take a cylinder with the same height and radius 'r1' (base radius being 'r2' and r2 > r1) and find the volume.
2) take a right triangle of the same height and base equal to r2-r1, multiply the area of this rectangle with '2 * pi * (r2- (2/3)(r2-r1))' to get a volume of revolution.

add the volumes calculated in the above steps, to get the volume left in your part

Attachments

• case1.jpg
    case1.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 509
  • case2.jpg
    case2.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 538
it's the first case. good representation!

Try it out!

A step by step solution to the problem is attached with this message, I haven't carried out the numerical integration but hope that won't present any problem.

Please inform me if I'm doing some mistake in this solution

Attachments

• Solution.doc
    35 KB · Views: 300
I took a very similar approach to Xishan and I come up with the following:

[tex]V = V_T - \frac{r^3}{m}(\alpha_h\cos(\alpha_h) + \pi - \sin(\alpha_h) + \frac{1}{3}\sin^3(\alpha_h))[/tex]

where

[tex]\cos(\alpha_h)=\frac{mh-r}{r}[/tex]

and

[tex]V_T = \pi r^2 h[/tex] = Total volume of cylinder

Also, [itex]h[/itex] is the height of the cylinder and [itex]m[/itex] is as defined by Xishan, ie,

[tex]m = \cot(\phi)[/tex]

I can provide details when I have more time. I haven't performed any numerical examples to check. However, I did confirm the test case when we spit the cylinder in two equal pieces. For this case, [itex]m=\frac{2r}{h}[/itex] which implies [itex]\alpha_h=0[/itex] and

[tex]V = V_T - \frac{r^3}{(2r/h)}(0+\pi-0+0)
= V_T-(1/2)r^2 h \pi
=\frac{1}{2}\pi r^2 h[/tex]

There is a small mistake in my solution b/c the substended angle is twice of alpha not just alpha. To correct it repalce 'alpha' in equation 'B' with '2*alpha' and in all subsequent occurances of equation 'B'. The procedure is anyway unchanged and correct to the best of my knowledge.

There is a small mistake in my solution b/c the substended angle is twice of alpha not just alpha. To correct it repalce 'alpha' in equation 'B' with '2*alpha' and in all subsequent occurances of equation 'B'. The procedure is anyway unchanged and correct to the best of my knowledge.

Yes, I agree, and the procedure is correct (after correction for 2*alpha). What I'm saying is the integration can be perform in closed form and does not require numerical integration.

Following Xishan's lead, I believe the the integral can also be expressed as

[tex]
V = \int\limits_0^h r^2 (\alpha - \frac{1}{2}sin(2\alpha ))dz
[/tex]

or

[tex]
V = r^2\int\limits_0^h (\alpha - sin(\alpha)cos(\alpha))dz
[/tex]

where [itex]\alpha[/itex] is a function of [itex]z[/itex] and is defined as

[tex]
\cos (\alpha ) = \frac{{r - mz}}{r}
[/tex]

Now the integral can be expressed as

[tex]
V = r^2 \int\limits_0^h {\cos ^{ - 1} } (u(z))dz - r^2 \int\limits_0^h {\sin (\alpha (z))\cos (\alpha (z))dz}
[/tex]

where

[tex]u=\frac{{r - mz}}{r} =\cos (\alpha )[/tex]
and
[tex]du=\frac{{-m}}{r}[/tex]

We also note

[tex]\cos(\alpha)=u[/tex]
[tex]d(\cos(\alpha))=du[/tex]
[tex]-\sin(\alpha)d\alpha=(\frac{{-m}}{r})dz[/tex]
[tex](\frac{{r}}{m})\sin^2(\alpha)d\alpha = \sin(\alpha)dz[/tex]

From here, we can express the integral as the sum of two integrals

[tex]V = r^2[I_1 - I_2][/tex]

with (ignoring limits temporarly)

[tex]I_1 = \int(\frac{{-r}}{m})\cos^{-1}(u)du[/tex]

[tex]I_2 = \int(\frac{{r}}{m})\sin^2(\alpha)d[sin(\alpha)][/tex]

Integrate, let the dust settle, and we yield

[tex]I_1=\frac{{-r}}{m}[u\cos^{-1}(u)-\sqrt{1-u^2}][/tex]
[tex] =\frac{{-r}}{m}[\cos(\alpha) \alpha-\sin(\alpha)][/tex]

and

[tex]I_2=\frac{{r}}{3m}\sin^3(\alpha)[/tex]

Hence

[tex]V=r^2(\frac{{-r}}{m})[\alpha\cos(\alpha)-\sin(\alpha)+\frac{1}{3}\sin^3(\alpha)][/tex]

Evaluate at the corresponding limits
[tex]\alpha_h=\alpha(z=h)=\cos^{-1}(\frac{r-mh}{r})[/tex]

[tex]\alpha_0=\alpha(z=0)=\cos^{-1}(1)=0[/tex]

So

[tex]V=(-\frac{r^3}{m})[\alpha_h\cos(\alpha_h)-\sin(\alpha_h)+(1/3)\sin^3(\alpha_h)][/tex]

Note, [itex]\frac{1}{m} = \tan(\phi)[/itex]

use the cylindric coordinate

What is the formula for finding the volume of a cylinder using integration?

The formula for finding the volume of a cylinder using integration is V = ∫A(x)dx, where A(x) is the cross-sectional area of the cylinder at a given height x.

What are the steps for finding the volume of a cylinder using integration?

The steps for finding the volume of a cylinder using integration are as follows:

1. Determine the limits of integration (height of the cylinder).
  2. Find the cross-sectional area of the cylinder at a given height x.
  3. Integrate the cross-sectional area function from the bottom limit to the top limit.
  4. Simplify the integral using algebraic techniques.
  5. Evaluate the integral to find the volume of the cylinder.

What are the applications of finding the volume of a cylinder using integration?

Finding the volume of a cylinder using integration has many real-world applications, such as calculating the volume of a water tank, determining the amount of material needed for a cylindrical container, or finding the displacement of a piston in an engine.

How is the volume of a cylinder by integration different from the formula for the volume of a cylinder?

The formula for the volume of a cylinder (V = πr2h) is derived from geometric principles, while the volume of a cylinder by integration takes into account the changing cross-sectional area of the cylinder and is derived from mathematical principles.

What are the limitations of finding the volume of a cylinder using integration?

One limitation of finding the volume of a cylinder using integration is that it can only be used for cylinders with a constant cross-sectional shape (e.g. circular or rectangular). It also assumes that the cylinder has a solid, continuous shape with no hollow or empty spaces inside. Additionally, integration may not be the most efficient method for finding the volume of a cylinder in certain scenarios, such as when the cylinder has irregular or complex cross-sectional shapes.