1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of a Cylinder/Tank

1. Feb 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You have a cylinder standing upright. Now, imagine a plane cutting the cylinder in half diagonaly from bottom left to top right.

Develop a function for the volume of the half-cylinder (the top left piece) as a function of its height. Volume would be liquid rising from the bottom of the piece up to the top.

The only variables I have are radius of the cylinder, and height of the cylinder.

This isn't a homework problem... it's an oddly shaped tank I need to develop a curve for, but I figured this is the best place to post.

2. Relevant equations

V = Pi*R^2*H -not very usefull

A = 1/2 * R^2 * (Theta - Sin(theta)) -This is the area of the segment of a circle made by a chord, where theta is the angle formed by drawing two radii from the center of the circle to each end of the chord.

3. The attempt at a solution

For a solution I'd really like a simple equation and/or something I can reference from a good source.

The way I did it is the following (I'd like something more simple though if it's possible):

Imagine the top view of the half-cylinder tank. As water rises from the bottom, you will see a cross sectional area fill that is equal to an area segment created by a chord. You can take that area and multiply it by a differential height then integrate over the height of the tank.

So I take the equation for the area segment: A = (1/2) * R^2 * (Theta - Sin(Theta))

Theta would start at 0 and increase to 2Pi as the tank fills. However, I need to turn this equation into a function of height (y):

Theta = 2*ArcCos[1-(2y/H)] where H = total height of the tank and y = height

Plug in the new value for theta, and simplify:

A = (1/2) * R^2 * ((2*ArcCos[1-(2y/H)]) - ((1-(2y/H))*(1-(1-(2y/H)^2)^.5))

To make this easier to read I'll consider Z = 1-(2y/H) and substitute it in (I can't use latex on this browser, sorry):

A = (1/2) * R^2 * ((2*ArcCos[Z]) - (Z*(1-Z^2)^.5))

This equation can then be integrated from 0 up to y (where y would be the height of interest).

Solving that integral analytically is very hard (impossible?). I used Excel to numerically integrate, but it is kind of sketchy. I'd like a more simple equation that gives an exact answer if it exists. Thanks for any help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2010 #2
    equality of the circle:
    [tex]r^{2} = x^{2} + y^{2}[/tex]
    solving it for y, choosing the positive one gives the function for the positive half:
    [tex] f(x) = \sqrt{r^{2} - x^{2}}[/tex]
    integrating it from -r, and doubling is should give us the area of a cross section. Now you should only find the function between h and x, and integrate it again to get the volume.
  4. Feb 20, 2010 #3
    You can just look up the part with ArcCos[Z].
    The other term can be done with substituting Z = sin U and then integration by parts
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook