Volume of a Cylinder: Calculate Weight

In summary, to find the weight of a hollow cylindrical copper pipe, you need to find the volume of the outer cylinder and the inner cylinder and subtract the two to get the volume of the pipe. Then, you can use the density and gravity equations to find the weight of the pipe.
Eagle's Wings

Homework Statement

a hollow cylindrical copper pipe is 1.5m long and has an outside diameter of 35cm and an inside diameter of 2.5 cm how much does it weight?

Homework Equations

ρ = M/V = 8.9E3
w = Mg

The Attempt at a Solution

okay, so I know that I can just solve for M because I already have ρ but how do I find volume? do I just do πr^2h but what do I do with the inner and outer diameters?

Physics news on Phys.org
Eagle's Wings said:

Homework Statement

a hollow cylindrical copper pipe is 1.5m long and has an outside diameter of 35cm and an inside diameter of 2.5 cm how much does it weight?

Homework Equations

ρ = M/V = 8.9E3
w = Mg

The Attempt at a Solution

okay, so I know that I can just solve for M because I already have ρ but how do I find volume? do I just do πr^2h but what do I do with the inner and outer diameters?
Are you sure about the dimensions of your cylinder? As you gave them, you have a nearly solid chunk of copper with a narrow hole in the middle.

The "hole" is also a cylinder, so you can find its volume and subtract that from the larger volume.

Mark44 said:
you have a nearly solid chunk of copper with a narrow hole in the middle.

Assuming that OP meant 3.5cm, and 2.5cm respectively;

Use your equation for the Volume of Cylinder:
[tex]V = \pi r^2 h[/tex]
So like Mark said - find the volume of the cylinder and subtract the volume of the inner 'cylinder' and then you will have the V to find your weight with. (converting cm to m):

[tex]V_{outer} = \pi (0.035m)^2 (1.5m)[/tex]
[tex] V_{inner} = \pi (0.025m)^2 (1.5m)[/tex]
[tex] V_{outer} - V_{inner} = V_{pipe}[/tex]

(in cubic meters)

Now you can find the Mass.

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume of a cylinder?

The formula for calculating the volume of a cylinder is V = πr^2h, where V is the volume, r is the radius, and h is the height of the cylinder.

2. How do I calculate the weight of a cylinder?

To calculate the weight of a cylinder, you will need to know the density of the material the cylinder is made of. The formula for calculating weight is W = V x D, where W is the weight, V is the volume, and D is the density. You can then use the formula for calculating the volume of a cylinder to determine its weight.

3. What units should I use when calculating the volume of a cylinder?

The most common units for calculating the volume of a cylinder are cubic units, such as cubic meters or cubic centimeters. However, you can use any unit of length for the radius and height, as long as they are both in the same unit.

4. Can I use the same formula to calculate the volume of any cylinder?

Yes, the formula for calculating the volume of a cylinder can be used for any cylinder, regardless of its size or shape. However, you will need to make sure to use the correct measurements for the radius and height in order to get an accurate result.

5. Can I use this formula to calculate the volume of other shapes?

No, this formula is specifically for calculating the volume of a cylinder. Other shapes, such as cones or spheres, have their own formulas for calculating volume. It is important to use the correct formula for the shape you are trying to calculate the volume of.