What is the volume of the parallelepiped with adjacent edges PQ, PR, and PS?

• Thread starter ahhppull
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, the task is to find the volume of a parallelepiped with adjacent edges PQ, PR, and PS. To solve this, the vectors PQ, PR, and PS are first found. Then, the cross product of PR x PS is calculated, followed by the dot product of PQ and PR x PS. The correct answer is 16, not 6. The mistake was made in calculating one of the vectors.
ahhppull

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the parallelepiped with adjacent edged PQ, PR, and PS.
P (-2,1,0)
Q (2,3,2)
R (1,4,-1)
S (3,6,1)

Homework Equations

Volume = PQ . (PR x PS)

The Attempt at a Solution

I first found the vectors PQ, PR and PS. Then I did the cross product of PR x PS and then did the dot product of PQ (dot) PR x PS. I got an answer of 6, but the answers in the back of the book says 16. Did I do it wrong? or is the book wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I found out what I did wrong. I calculated on of the vectors wrong.

1. What is a parallelepiped?

A parallelepiped is a three-dimensional shape that is formed by six parallelograms. It has six faces, eight vertices, and twelve edges. Examples of parallelepipeds include boxes, bricks, and books.

2. How do you find the volume of a parallelepiped?

To find the volume of a parallelepiped, you multiply the length, width, and height of the shape. The formula for the volume of a parallelepiped is V = lwh, where l is the length, w is the width, and h is the height.

3. Can you find the volume of a non-rectangular parallelepiped?

Yes, the formula for finding the volume of a parallelepiped still applies to non-rectangular shapes. As long as you know the length, width, and height of the shape, you can find its volume using the formula V = lwh.

4. How is the volume of a parallelepiped different from the volume of a cube?

A cube is a special type of parallelepiped where all sides are equal. Therefore, the formula for finding the volume of a cube is simply V = s^3, where s is the length of all sides. In contrast, the formula for finding the volume of a parallelepiped is V = lwh, where the length, width, and height can be different measurements.

5. Why is finding the volume of a parallelepiped important?

Knowing the volume of a parallelepiped is important in many real-life applications. For example, in construction, the volume of a parallelepiped can help determine the amount of material needed to build a structure. In chemistry, the volume of a parallelepiped can be used to calculate the density of a substance. It is also a fundamental concept in mathematics and geometry.