Volume of a parallelepiped's sign

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the identity A.(B x C) = (A x B).C using the concept of the three-product of vectors and its relationship to the volume of a parallelepiped. The conversation also explores the sign aspect of the identity and potential strategies for proving it geometrically or algebraically. The possibility of an easier method without using the three-product result is also mentioned.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I have this problem that reads

a) Prove that the three-product (A.(B x C)) of the vectors A, B and C where A, B and C are not lying in a single plane, is the volume of the parallelepiped whose edges are A, B and C with positive or negative sign according to wheter a right-hand screw rotated from A toward B would advance along C in the positive or negative direction.

With some effort, I did that.

b) Use this result to prove the following identity geometrically: A.(B x C) = (A x B).C. Verify that the right and left members of the identity are equal in sign as well as in magnitude.

I proved the identity geometrically and then I argued that both members were the same in magnitude because geometrically they both represented by parallelepiped of equal edged and all parallelepiped of equal edges have equal volume, hence...etc.

But the sign part, I can't find the trick.

The identity gives |ABCsin(x)cos(y)| = |ABCsin(w)cos(z)| where x is the angle between B and C, y the angle between A and B x C, w the angle between A and B and z the angle between C and A x B.

All of these angles are between 0 and 180°, which means sin(x) and sin(w) are always positive and the negative sign comes from y and z being between 90° and 180°.

If I could show that when one angle on the cos is between 90° and 180°, so is the other it would be done, but I can't find a relationship between any of the 4 above angles except that sin(x)|cos(y)| = sin(w)|cos(z)|.

If you have any idea, let me know. Big thanks!

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
If your geometrical intuition fails, you can fall back on proving this relation algebraically.
(If you do this, it might spur you on to find a correct geometric argument!)

Is it necessary to use the above result ...
there is an easier without using the above result ...

-- AI

Last edited:
Say that again?

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume of a parallelepiped?

The formula for calculating the volume of a parallelepiped is V = l x w x h, where l is the length, w is the width, and h is the height.

2. How is the volume of a parallelepiped different from a regular rectangular prism?

A parallelepiped is a three-dimensional figure with six parallelogram sides, while a rectangular prism has six rectangular sides. However, they both have the same formula for calculating volume.

3. Can the volume of a parallelepiped be negative?

No, the volume of a parallelepiped cannot be negative. It is a measure of space and therefore can only have positive values.

4. How does the sign of a parallelepiped's volume affect its shape?

The sign of a parallelepiped's volume does not affect its shape. It only indicates the direction in which the volume is increasing or decreasing.

5. What are some real-life examples of parallelepipeds?

Some real-life examples of parallelepipeds include shipping containers, bricks, books, and cereal boxes.