Volume of Prism: Length & Width (y^3-y, y-1)

In summary, the conversation discusses a swimming pool with a volume of y^3-y and a height of y-1. The formula V=lbh is used to determine the length and width of the pool, and it is set up as y(y-1)(y+1)=lw(y-1), which can be simplified to y(y+1)=lw. However, without additional information, it is not possible to determine the length and width of the pool.
Markg1997
if a swimming pool has a volume of y^3-y and a height of y-1 then what is the length and width?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The volume of a prism is

[tex]V=lbh[/tex]

And so in your case, [itex]V=y^3-y[/itex] and [itex]h=y-1[/itex] so plug these in, can you then figure out what l and b must be? Hint: Factorize.

I have it set up as:
y(y-1)(y+1)=lw(y-1) which I then divide by (y-1) to get
y(y+1)=lw and then I am stuck

Markg1997 said:
I have it set up as:
y(y-1)(y+1)=lw(y-1) which I then divide by (y-1) to get
y(y+1)=lw and then I am stuck

Yer pool is either y units long and (y+1) units wide or (y+1) units long and y units wide. Without additional information, you can't tell which dimension is which.

That's assuming that all measurements are whole integers which was not given.

HallsofIvy said:
That's assuming that all measurements are whole integers which was not given.
This doesn't assume whole integers at all. y could be any real value greater than 1.

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a prism?

The formula for finding the volume of a prism is V = Bh, where B is the area of the base and h is the height of the prism.

2. How do I find the length and width of a prism?

To find the length and width of a prism, you will need to measure the dimensions of the base. For a rectangular prism, the length and width will be the same as the base. For other shapes, such as a triangular prism, you may need to use a formula to calculate the length and width.

3. What is the difference between length and width?

Length and width are two of the three dimensions of a three-dimensional object. Length refers to the longest side or dimension of an object, while width refers to the shorter side or dimension.

4. How do I calculate the volume of a prism with variables?

To calculate the volume of a prism with variables, you will need to substitute the variables into the formula V = Bh, where B is the area of the base and h is the height of the prism. In the case of "y^3-y, y-1", the base would be y^3-y and the height would be y-1.

5. Can the volume of a prism be negative?

No, the volume of a prism cannot be negative. Volume is a measurement of space and cannot have a negative value.