1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of a region

1. Nov 19, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the volume of the region bounded by the surface given in the figure.
    Until the image is approved this description will have to do.
    What is the volume enclosed by the X-Y plane, a cylinder of radius r, and a plane that passes through the center of the cylinder and makes an angle theta with the X-Y plane?

(Hope that was clear enough)

2. The attempt at a solution
    Ok since i see a cylinder i think cylindrical coordinates
    Is this the correct answer in cylindrical coordinates? Ok i need this problem reformulated in Cartesian because this is for a friend in first year calculus

[tex] V = \int_{0}^{r} s ds \int_{0}^{\pi} d\phi \int_{0}^{r\cos\theta} dz [/tex]

The reason there is a pi because this is only sweeping half circle. There is a [itex] z\cos \theta [/itex] as upper limit in the z integral because the length of the z varies between zero and [itex] r\cos\theta[/itex].

Is this correct? In cylindrical coordinates? If it is then i can proceed to do it through method of surfaces of revolution in the Cartesian system.

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      11.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2007 #2
    i have revised my solution. The phi integrand was wrong.

I just need someone to tell me if im right or wrong. Thanks a lot for your help!

4. Nov 20, 2007 #3
    bump :)

5. Nov 21, 2007 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

bump yourself! (I really hate that! If people want to answer your question, they will!)

"What is the volume enclosed by the X-Y plane, a cylinder of radius r, and a plane that passes through the center of the cylinder and makes an angle theta with the X-Y plane?"
    passes through the center of the cylinder? Do you mean "Passes through the center of the base of the cylinder in the xy-plane"? That's what your picture shows.
    If that is the case, then it looks to me like your integral is correct.

6. Nov 21, 2007 #5
    now thats waht i thought too and the answer i get yields
    [tex] \frac{r^2}{2} * \pi * r\cos\theta [/tex]

but the answer in the textbook is
    [tex] \frac{2}{3}r^3 \cos\theta [/tex]

7. Nov 23, 2007 #6
    What book are you using?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?