1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of a revolved area

1. Jan 18, 2009 #1
    Hello. I am a calculus student currently studying integrals. I am able to logically break down most problems, but I came to a breaking point today. I am trying to understand how to revolve the area between two trigonometric functions about a vertical line. The conditions I am trying to satisfy is when these functions form an area that is apparently symmetric and end on identical y coordinates. To simplify my question, I'll create an example.

Revolve the area enclosed by f(x) and g(x) about the line x= -1 on the interval [0, [tex]\pi[/tex]]
    f(x) = sin(x)
    g(x) = -sin(x)

I am having incredible difficulty merely setting up the integral. Clearly, I'll need something like this:

V = [tex]\pi[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex] ( something + 1)^2 - ( something + 1)^2 dy

I understand the concept of selecting f(y) and g(y) and subtracting the axis' x-coordinate, but I do not understand how to choose which one is an outer radius and which one is an inner radius. Additionally, because the points that they intersect at are identical, I am not sure what bounds to use without getting a bad answer (v=0). I appreciate your time and hope that you will forgive my English.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2009 #2
    To find area between two functions you have to find integral of module of differences of them.

But in current situation it's a bit easier:
    [tex]sin(x) > -sin(x)[/tex] on [tex][0, \pi][/tex]
    [tex]v = \int_o^\pi sin(x)-(-sin(x)) dx = 2 \int_0^\pi sin(x) dx[/tex]

My English is also not really good :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?