1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of a Semicircular Area? HELP

1. Jan 14, 2004 #1
    Hello everyone- My question is about finding the volume of a semicircular area. The radius of the semicircle is 2000km, and the thickness is 3000m? It wants cubic centimeters of ice. (this is about how thick the polar ice caps are). Thanks. ~David W.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Half of an ice cap? If you want to deal with the curvature of the earth, it gets a bit more complicated.

[tex]\frac{\pi 20000000^2}{2} 300000}[/tex]
  4. Jan 15, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In general the volume of anything with a constant thickness is
    "area times thickness".

For a semi-circle of radius r, the area is (1/2)pi r2.

Putting a thickness of h on that, the volume is (1/2)pi h r2.
  5. Jan 15, 2004 #4
    ok, thanks.
  6. Jan 29, 2004 #5
    Hi all, I have a question about the radius. Is it just me or is the conversion of the radius off by 10. I've done this problem before and I had [(pi*200,000,000)^2/2]300000. Sorry about the notation, I'm new at this.
  7. Jan 30, 2004 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, I insert small random errors to... er... make sure that people check the work, yeah that's it. Honestly, the problem is that reading problems and lot's of zero's don't mix well.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?