1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of a solid

1. Dec 7, 2008 #1
    Thanks to the awesome help on this board, I am narrowing my problems down quickly. I have already answered problems #6, 7, 9, and 10 as b, f, c, and a respectively. I wouldn't mind if you checked them but it's not my biggest worry. Instead I have given many attempts at number 8 using the disc/washer and shell formula. The page is out of date because I have been working on it since that page has been scanned and I no longer have access to that scanner. Any clarification on the formulas and their uses in this problem would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Problem 8 is "Find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the curves y= x and y= x2 around the line y= 2.

First, of course, draw a picture. You should see that vertical line drawn from y= 2 will cross that region first at y= x and then at y= x2. That means that a "washer" formed by rotating the figure about y= 2 will have inner radius 2- x and outer radius 2- x2. The areas of the two circles with those radii will be [itex]\pi(2- x)^2[/itex] and [itex]\pi(2- x^2)^2[/itex]. The area of the "washer" between them will have area equal to the difference of those. Integrate that with respect to dx from x= 0 to x= 1.

If you want to do it by "shells", each shell will be a thin cylinder of thickness dy, radius 2- y, and height [itex]\sqrt{y}- y[/itex]. The surface area of that will be [itex]2\pi(2- y)(\sqrt{y}- y)[/itex] and the volume will be [itex]2\pi(2- y)(\sqrt{y}- y)dy[/itex] integrated from y= 0 to y= 1.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?