Does the Volume of a Solid Depend on Point of Tangency?

In summary, Lethe provides a step-by-step explanation for finding the volume of a solid bounded by the coordinate planes and a plane tangent to the surface xyz = k, in the first octant. The key steps include finding the normal vector using the gradient, finding the equation for the tangent plane, and using the properties of a right pyramid to calculate the volume. The final answer is 9k/2, which does not depend on the point of tangency.
iceman
Hi,
I need help on this problem which is giving me a few headaches...!

here goes..

Show that the volume of the solid bounded by the coordinate planes and the plane tangent to the portion of the surface xyz = k, k>0, in the first octant does not depend on the point of tangency.

Your help will be much appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
OK, i think i have the answer. i make it 9k/2. how much help do you want?

my first hint: the normal to that surface can be found by taking the gradient.

Hi lethe,

I am totally lost on this question to be honest and I can't seem to work out what to do here to solve it. I would really appreciate it if you could explain step by step what you are doing so I can understand how you came to your conclusion and your answer.

eg. how you came to your answer of 9k/2.

and also your hint: the normal to that surface can be found by taking the gradient.

How would you go about solving this?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

OK:

step 1: the gradient of xyz - k gives you the normal vector to the surface.

the gradient is (yz,xz,xy)

step 2: the equation for a plane with normal vector n is n*(x-x0)=0

so the equation for the tangent plane at x0 is y0z0(x-x0)+x0z0(y-y0)+x0y0(z-z0)=0

or

x/x0 + y/y0 + z/z0 = 3

step 3: find the three coordinate intercepts of this plane by plugging in x=y=0 and get z=30, then x=z=0 and get y=3y0, and x=3x0

step 4: calculate the volume. it is a right pyramid, the base has legs 3x0 and 3y0, so the area of the base is 9x0y0/2. the area for a pyramid is 1/3*Base*height, so this is 9x0y0z0/2, but since x0 is on the surface, x0y0z0 = k, and we get 9k/2 for the volume

Hey thanks for your help lethe!

Regards
Iceman

1. What is the definition of volume?

The volume of a solid is a measure of the amount of space that the solid occupies, typically measured in cubic units such as cubic meters or cubic centimeters.

2. How do you calculate the volume of a regular solid?

To calculate the volume of a regular solid, such as a cube or sphere, you can use specific formulas that take into account the dimensions of the shape. For example, the volume of a cube is calculated by multiplying the length, width, and height together.

3. What is the formula for finding the volume of an irregular solid?

The formula for finding the volume of an irregular solid is to divide the solid into smaller, regular shapes and then use the appropriate formula for each shape. The volumes of these smaller shapes can then be added together to find the total volume of the irregular solid.

4. How is volume related to other measurements of a solid, such as mass and density?

Volume is closely related to mass and density. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in a solid, while density is a measure of how tightly packed the particles of a solid are. Volume, mass, and density are all interrelated and can be used to calculate other properties of a solid, such as its weight.

5. How can the volume of a solid be measured in real-life situations?

In real-life situations, the volume of a solid can be measured using various tools such as rulers, measuring tapes, or water displacement methods. Advanced techniques such as laser scanning or 3D modeling can also be used to accurately measure the volume of complex or irregular solids.