1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of a sphere derivation

1. Oct 1, 2005 #1
    I just need a really good derivation of it using spherical coordinates, like the integral limits.

pictures might help
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2005 #2
    [tex]\iiint\limits_E{\rho}^2\,\sin{\phi}\,d\phi\,d\rho\,d\theta\quad E:\left\{0\leq\phi\leq\pi;\quad 0\leq\rho\leq r;\quad 0\leq\theta\leq 2\pi\right\}[/tex]
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2005
  4. Oct 1, 2005 #3
  5. Oct 1, 2005 #4
    actually i was more interested in how you derived the d phi(that other angle thing) part

Like which integrant belongs to which. Mathworld doesnt show too much of that, the math part I get but I would like to know which angle belong to which. Since there are 3 sets of integral limits, then there should 3 of them, so which belongs which accoring to the equation cavoy posted
  6. Oct 1, 2005 #5
    From cartesian to spherical coordinates:

...then use the Jacobian to get the equivalent of dV in terms of phi, theta, and rho.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?