Finding the Rate of Change of a Spherical Balloon's Diameter

In summary, to solve the given problem for a test on Monday, you need to differentiate the volume equation of a sphere with respect to time and rewrite it in terms of the diameter. By substituting (D(t)/2)^3 for r, differentiating, and plugging in the given values, the rate of change of the diameter was determined to be 3.8197 ft/min. This process can be used to teach oneself how to solve similar problems. Good luck on your test!
skivail
i need to be able to solve a problem like this for a test on monday. please solve, showing work, so i can trace your steps to teach myself.

a spherical balloon is inflated so that its volume is increasing at the rate of 6ft^3/minute. how fast is the diameter of the balloon increasing when the radius is 1 feet? reminder: volume of a sphere= 4/3 (pi)r^3

Physics news on Phys.org
Just differentiate with respect to time. The left side will be dV/dt and the right side will contain a factor of dr/dt which is rate at which the RADIUS changes. Be sure to rewrite it in terms of the DIAMETER.

-Substitute (D(t)/2)^3 for r in V=4/3 (pi)r^3.
-When simplified you get pi/6(D(t))^3.
-Differentiate and you get V'= pi/6[3(D(t))^2] [D'(t)] (implicit diff.)
-plug in the numbers--remember any variable with the ' means it's a rate, a unit over time
- I got 3.8197 ft/min. but if you have an answer key go with that.

I really hope this helps! Good luck on your test!:smile:

What is the formula for finding the volume of a sphere?

The formula for finding the volume of a sphere is V = (4/3)πr³, where V is the volume and r is the radius of the sphere.

How do you calculate the radius of a sphere when given the volume?

To calculate the radius of a sphere when given the volume, use the formula r = ∛(3V/4π), where V is the volume of the sphere.

What units are typically used to measure the volume of a sphere?

The volume of a sphere is typically measured in cubic units, such as cubic centimeters (cm³) or cubic meters (m³).

Can the volume of a sphere be negative?

No, the volume of a sphere cannot be negative. It is a physical quantity that represents the amount of space inside a sphere, so it must always be a positive value.

How does the volume of a sphere change if the radius is doubled?

If the radius of a sphere is doubled, the volume will increase by a factor of 8. This is because the volume formula includes the radius cubed, so doubling the radius results in an 8 times increase in volume (2³=8).