Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of a sphere

1. Dec 2, 2007 #1
    I was just thinking about how you would calculate the volume of a sphere last night, and tried it thusly, using the logic that a sphere is nothing but a bunch of infinitesimally thin circles with increasing radius from 0 to r, and then from decreasing radius r to 0:

[tex] \int^{R}_{0} \pi r^{2}dr= \frac{1}{3} \pi R^{3}[/tex]

This, I thought should be one hemisphere, so I multiplied the result by 2, getting [tex]\frac{2}{3} \pi R^{3}[/tex]. This, of course, is not the volume of a sphere. Why did my method not work?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2007 #2
    The surface area of a sphere is 4(pi)r^2

4. Dec 2, 2007 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

you have the radii growing linearly, so you are getting (twice) the volume of a right circular cone of base radius R and height R.

it seems you should integrate something like pi(R^2 - y^2) as y grows from 0 to R. and then double it. i.e. the thin disc at height y has radius sqrt(R^2-y^2) by pythagoras.

by the way euclid also used the word "circle" to refer both to the one dimensional circumference and the 2 dimensional interior of a circle, so the flap about that usage is historically unjustified.

5. Dec 2, 2007 #4
    What you calculated was the area below the function [tex]\pi r^2[/tex] above some axis.

I don't think you can find the volume of a sphere in under 3 integrals since you need to account for the change in x/y/z.

The integral will be [tex]\int_0^{2\pi}d\theta \int_0^{\pi}sin\phi d\phi \int_0^R r^2 dr[/tex]

Although it's a tripple integral since none of the limits of one variable depend on another variable you can treat it as the multiple of 3 integrals.
    [tex]\int_0^{2\pi}d\theta[/tex]
    [tex]\int_0^{\pi}sin\phi d\phi[/tex]
    [tex]\int_0^R r^2 dr[/tex]
    After you multiply the results you should get the volume of the sphere [tex]\frac{4}{3}\pi R^3[/tex]

6. Dec 2, 2007 #5

dst

But clearly the starting integral was giving the area of a quadrant of the sphere?

7. Dec 2, 2007 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Your proper integral should be, for the hemishere:
    [tex]\int_{0}^{R}\pi{r}(z)^{2}dz[/tex]
    where z is the variable dsenoting at which height along the axis you are, while r(z) is the radius of the disk at that height.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?