1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of a tetrahedron

1. May 30, 2006 #1
    Find the volume of "A tetrahedron with three mutually perpendicular faces and three mutually perpendicular edges with lengths 3 cm, 4 cm, and 5cm."

This is how I visualized it:
    [​IMG]

The area of a triangle along the x-axis is:
    A(x) = .5 * x * (3/5x), 3/5x is from similar triangles.
    A(x) = 3/10 * x2
    [tex]V = \int^{5}_{0} A(x) dx = \frac{3}{10} \int^{5}_{0} x^2 dx
    = \frac{1}{10} [x^3]^{5}_{0}
    = 12.5 cm^3[/tex]
    But the answer is 10 cm3. Why doesn't my method work?

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

Right now your dx is wrong. It corresponds to a change in the length of the short side of the triangluar slice, where as it should be the thickness of the slice, which is dy. You need to find dx/dy, the change in the length of this side for a change in height y.

4. May 30, 2006 #3

benorin

Homework Helper

The area of a right triangle is A=b*h/2, where b=base, h=height
    In your diagram, slice through your tetrahedron with a plane passing through a given x value (the shape made by this is a right triangle whose right angle has its corner on the x-axis). The height of that triangle is
    h=4(1-x/5) since the line that connects the vetricies on the y-axis and the x-axis is y/4+x/5=1; the base of that right triangle is b=3(1-x/5), since the line that connects the vetricies on the x-axis and the z-axis is
    z/3+x/5=1; hence the cross-sectional area is A(x)=3(1-x/5)*4(1-x/5)/2
    simplified this gives A(x)=6(1-x/5)^2, so the volume is

[tex]6\int_{0}^{5}\left( 1-\frac{x}{5}\right) ^2dx =10[/tex]

5. May 30, 2006 #4
    Would it not be easier to do that using a triple scalar product ( [itex] V = \frac{1}{6}a \cdot (b \times c) [/itex] ), where a, b and c are the vectors of the sides?

6. May 30, 2006 #5
    This works...
    If I used a triangle perpendicular to the y-axis (along the x and z axes), then it seems like I would have to find the area in terms of y, right? But why doesn't finding the area in terms of x work?

7. May 30, 2006 #6

benorin

Homework Helper

x is never the height nor base of any right triangle form by slicing that tetra hedron by a plane parallell to one of the coordinate planes.

8. Jun 1, 2006 #7

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can check your answer by noting that the volume of a pyramid is 1/3 the area of its base times its height.

9. Mar 25, 2008 #8
    Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I can't figure out why the line y/4+x/5=1 or the line z/3+x/5=1 are equal to 1?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?