1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of air in a treachea Help please

1. Oct 7, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Reynolds number and the turbulence of trachael air flow

under the conditions of normal activity an adult inhales about 1.1l of air during each inhalation. using a stop watch, dTErmine the time for one of your own inhalations and hence estimate the volume flow in m^3/s through your trachea during inhalation. The diameter of the trachea is appx 25mm.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I converted 25mm to m = 0.025m
    1.1l = 0.001 meters^3
    I just cant seem to get the right "inahlation using a stopwatch". I used 0.3m^3/s but that didnt seem to be right at all. Can anyone help me? What is a reasonable vallue for this??

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2012 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What did you get for your inhalation time? If you don't have an actual stopwatch, a clock or watch that displays the seconds (in addition to hours and minutes), or one that has a seconds hand, would work.

4. Oct 7, 2012 #3
    2.5 seconds per inahalation

5. Oct 7, 2012 #4
    If each inhalation contains 1.1 liters (1100cc) and requires 2.5 seconds, what is your inhalation rate in lites/sec (or cubic meters per second or cc/sec)?

6. Oct 8, 2012 #5

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Okay, that sounds totally reasonable. Now you just need to follow Chestermiller's line of questions. You have the amount of air in liters, and the amount of time in seconds. So next you need to calculate the rate in liters/second.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook