1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of bounded by 2 surfaces

1. Sep 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to find the volume of the body bounded by the following surfaces:
    z = x2 + y2
    z = 1 - x2 - y2

2. Relevant equations

Volume of a body between z=o and the upper surface:
    [tex]\iint_{D} z(x,y) dA[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, this is something I need to do with a double integral, not a triple integral.
    So those are 2 symmetric paraboloids, creating in between a body shaped like a lens.
    Since I need to find the volume of a body from z=o to the surface, I thought about this.
    The 2 surfaces are symmetrical, so if I take their intersection (which is a circle radius 2-1/2 at z=1/2) and shift it down to z=0, I can calculate the volume of the upper half of the solid and then multiply by 2.
    I'll need it in polar coordinates of course, so:
    [tex]x=r\cos{\theta}, y=r\sin{\theta}[/tex]
    and the function after shifting it is:
    z = 1/2 - x2 - y2 = 1/2 - r2(sin2θ + cos2θ) = 1/2 - r2
    So the integral is:
    [tex]
    \int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{0}^{\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}} (\frac{1}{2} - r^2) r dr d\theta = \int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{0}^{\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}} (\frac{r}{2} - r^3) dr d\theta = [/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{4} \int_{0}^{2\pi} (r^2-r^4)_{0}^{\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}} d\theta = \frac{1}{8} \int_{0}^{2\pi} d\theta = \frac{\pi}{4}[/tex]

And since it was the upper half, I need to multiply by 2 to get the entire volume, it being [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex].

Was I correct?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted