What is the value of k for the decreasing volume of chlorine in a swimming pool?

C(t) = C0e^kt, where C0 is the initial volume and k is the decay constant. Given that the initial volume was 3 litres and 8 hours later it was 2.5 litres, we can set up the equations C(0) = 3 and C(8) = 2.5. Solving for k using simultaneous equations, we can find the exact value of k.
rachael
13 The volume of chlorine, C litres, in a swimming pool at time t hours after it was placed in
the pool can be modeled by C(t) = C0e^kt, t ≥ 0. The volume of chlorine in the pool is
decreasing. Initially the volume of chlorine in the pool was 3 litres, 8 hours later the
volume was 2.5 litres.

b Find the exact value of k.
i tried to work this question out but it do not turned out to be right.
i used C(t)=3e^kt
where c(t)=3
then there is another equation C(t)=2.5e^8t
then i used simultanoeus equation
is this method correct?

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
rachael said:
13 The volume of chlorine, C litres, in a swimming pool at time t hours after it was placed in
the pool can be modeled by C(t) = C0e^kt, t ≥ 0. The volume of chlorine in the pool is
decreasing. Initially the volume of chlorine in the pool was 3 litres,
This means C(0) = 3. Plug it in the expression for C(t), we have:
C(t) = C(0)ekt = 3ekt, right?
8 hours later the
volume was 2.5 litres.
This means that C(8) = 3ek8 = 2.5
From here, can you solve for k?
By the way, this can be done exactly in the same way as this problem.
Can you go from here? :)

thank you

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume of chlorine?

The formula for calculating the volume of chlorine is V = (M/MW) x 22.4 L, where V is the volume in liters, M is the mass in grams, and MW is the molecular weight of chlorine (35.45 g/mol).

2. How do I convert from mass to volume for chlorine?

To convert from mass to volume for chlorine, you can use the formula V = (M/MW) x 22.4 L, where V is the volume in liters, M is the mass in grams, and MW is the molecular weight of chlorine (35.45 g/mol). Simply plug in the values and solve for V.

3. Can I use any units for mass and volume when calculating the volume of chlorine?

No, it is important to use consistent units when calculating the volume of chlorine. Mass should be in grams and volume in liters for the formula V = (M/MW) x 22.4 L to work correctly.

4. How do I find the molecular weight of chlorine?

The molecular weight of chlorine is 35.45 g/mol. This can be found on the periodic table or by using the molecular weight calculator provided by many chemistry websites.

5. What is the volume of chlorine needed for a specific amount of water?

The volume of chlorine needed for a specific amount of water depends on the concentration of chlorine desired. You can use the formula V = (M/MW) x 22.4 L, where V is the volume in liters, M is the mass in grams, and MW is the molecular weight of chlorine (35.45 g/mol) to calculate the volume needed for a certain concentration. Alternatively, you can refer to a chlorine dosage chart for specific amounts of water and desired concentrations.