1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of Curve

1. Mar 19, 2004 #1

Zurtex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi could you please say if this is right or wrong and if it is not where I went wrong.

I got the question:

Find the volume of the area between y=x-x^3 from 0 to 1 revolved about the y-axis.

So here are my workings:

[tex]V = \pi \int_0^1{x^2dy}[/tex]
    [tex]V = \pi \int_0^1{x^2 \frac{dy}{dx}dx}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = 1 - 3x^2[/tex]
    [tex]V = \pi \int_0^1{x^2 \left(1 - 3x^2 \right)dx} [/tex]
    [tex]V = \pi \int_0^1{x^2 - 3x^4 dx}[/tex]
    [tex]V = \pi \left[ \frac{x^3}{3} - \frac{3x^5}{5} \right]_0^1 [/tex]
    [tex]V = \pi \left \left( \frac{1}{3} - \frac{3}{5} \right) - \pi(0)[/tex]
    [tex]V = \frac{-4\pi}{15} [/tex]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2004 #2
    Well, the volume can't be negative, can it? :smile:

As far as I remember, the volumne you get by revolving the area below f(x) between points A and B around the X axis is:

[tex]V = \pi \int_a^b{f(x)^2dx}[/tex]

Edit: argh, just noticed you're revolving it around the Y axis. Sorry.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2004
  4. Mar 19, 2004 #3

Zurtex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Grrr, I just wrote up a load of code in Latex and it didn't post up.

I think the problem is that when I am integrating:

[tex]x^2 - 3x^4[/tex]

Should I separate it into the parts above and below the x - axis, work out the area of the two parts individually?

5. Mar 19, 2004 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I presume you want to find the volume of revolution of the area between that curve f(x) and the x-axis (between x = 0, 1), revolved around the y-axis?

Wouldn't that just be:
    [tex]V = 2\pi \int_0^1{xf(x)dx}[/tex]

6. Mar 19, 2004 #5

Zurtex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes but I've never heard of that equation before, that only briefly reminds me of something I did in statistics.

7. Mar 19, 2004 #6
    If you take a point [tex](x, y)[/tex] on the graph, connect it to the X axis and revolve the line around the Y axis, you would get a very thin but high donut. The perimeter of the donut is [tex]2\pi x[/tex] and its height is [tex]y[/tex], bringing its volum to [tex]2\pi xy[/tex] or [tex]2\pi xf(x)[/tex]. That's how you get to:

[tex]V = 2\pi \int_0^1{xf(x)dx}[/tex]

8. Mar 19, 2004 #7
    Ahh, I think I found your mistake. Since you integrate by [tex]dy[/tex], you need the take Y limits and not the X limits. You are asked to find the volume between X = 0 and X = 1, those points are (0, 1) and (1, 0). So when you integrate by Y, the definite integral needs to be from 1 to 0, and not from 0 to 1. This is why you got a negative volume, and if you solve it with the equation Zurtex posted you would in fact get 4pi/15.

9. Mar 19, 2004 #8

Zurtex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thanks loads :D

Knew it was just some sill mistake. Although I don't understand your volume thingy but then I am only doing A level further maths.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?