Volume of Cylinders: Find V w/ Pi r2h

In summary, the conversation involves finding the volume of a cylinder with a given radius and height, using the formula "V= Pi r2h". The radius is obtained by dividing the given diameter by 2, and the final volume is divided by 2 since it is half a cylinder. The resulting volume is 1.14453 m3. The other person confirms that the calculation appears to be correct.
Kirito123

Homework Statement

upload_2016-8-1_0-51-44.png

Homework Equations

V= Pi R2H

The Attempt at a Solution

V = Pi r2h

They gave us the radius and the height (the length can be used as height). They Diameter is 0.9 to find the radius I just divide by 2 = 0.45. So now I find the volume of the cylinder using the formula “V= Pi r2h”. V= 3.14 x 0.2035 x 3.6 = 2.28906 now we divide by 2 since its half a cylinder. So now we do 2.28906 / 2= 1.14453 m3, so the tunnel can hold 1.14453 m3 of air.
(Pretty sure I got this right just want to confirm with others.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes that looks right to me.

kk thanks

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a cylinder?

The formula for finding the volume of a cylinder is V = πr2h, where V is the volume, π is the mathematical constant pi, r is the radius of the cylinder, and h is the height of the cylinder.

2. How do you calculate the volume of a cylinder?

To calculate the volume of a cylinder, you need to know the radius and height of the cylinder. Once you have those measurements, you can use the formula V = πr2h to find the volume.

3. What is the unit of measurement for volume?

The unit of measurement for volume is typically cubic units, such as cubic inches, cubic feet, or cubic centimeters. In the formula V = πr2h, the units for volume would be the units for radius squared multiplied by the units for height.

4. Can you find the volume of a cylinder without knowing the height?

No, you cannot find the volume of a cylinder without knowing the height. The height is a crucial measurement in the formula V = πr2h, and without it, you cannot accurately calculate the volume.

5. How does the radius affect the volume of a cylinder?

The radius directly affects the volume of a cylinder. As the radius increases, the volume of the cylinder also increases, and as the radius decreases, the volume decreases. This is because the volume formula involves the radius squared, so any change in the radius will have a significant impact on the final volume calculation.