Calculating the Volume of an Electron

In summary: The different states of the electron would affect the definition of a volume because it would depend on the location of the electron.
Another noob question: Imagine that you could grab two electrons and put them togheter, Can they get so close that they end up being in the same space?

Physics news on Phys.org
sophiecentaur said:
This thread is in danger of turning into a 'top trumps' game. The 'spec's of things like electrons don't really lend themselves to this sort of discussion.

Energy on an electron ~ e2/r
so
mc2 = e2/r

As e = 4.774 x 10-10 esu
m=9.108 x 10-28 g
c=3 x 108 m/s

We solve for radius of electron and r= 2.780 x 10-15 m

Now Volume of an electron = 4πr3/3 ~ 90 x 10-45 m3
Volume of an electron approximately is 9 x 10-44 m3

Woops ! This thread was 1 year old. I blindly posted here !:eek:
And now , I can't just delete it ! :eek:
Another noob question: Imagine that you could grab two electrons and put them togheter, Can they get so close that they end up being in the same space?

Don't you hijack this thread lol ?:rolleyes:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=613639
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=261050
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=31820.0
http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/95352?uid=3738256&uid=2129&uid=2&uid=70&uid=4&sid=47699125619907

Last edited:
sankalpmittal said:
I'm not sure I'm happy with that; at least I don't recognise it. Shouldn't there be a 1/4πε0 in there for your approximation? That would change the magnitude of things a bit. Or is it the units you're using? I tend to stick to SI for my EM understanding.
Perhaps you could give me a reference.

sophiecentaur said:
I'm not sure I'm happy with that; at least I don't recognise it. Shouldn't there be a 1/4πε0 in there for your approximation? That would change the magnitude of things a bit. Or is it the units you're using? I tend to stick to SI for my EM understanding.
Perhaps you could give me a reference.

I know you are correct. :smile: And even I could not find this formula anywhere on the internet. Even a google search was not worth it.

Every sites say that we cannot precisely calculate volume of an electron but , we can say that Energy of an electron of any element at particular radius = -ze2/4πε0r

where z is atomic number of that element and r is that particular radius.

But in my textbook it was written that Energy on an electron ~ e2/r.

Yet I cannot find any reference on internet. Then may be my textbook is wrong.

"Every sites say that we cannot precisely calculate volume of an electron but , we can say that Energy of an electron of any element at particular radius = -ze2/4πε0r"

that is the energy of the electron in its bound state in an atom - nothing to do with its own 'internal' potential energy. Why would they include z in the formula, otherwise?

LoFish said:

Yes and no. At the scale of individual electrons, called the quantum scale, effects that we label "quantum effects" become dominant. Such effects include quantum tunneling, uncertainty, etc. Two electrons cannot have the same "state", which basically means they can't occupy the same place at the same time with the same properties. Electrons belong to a class of particle called "Fermions" which all obey this rule, which is named the "Pauli Exclusion Principle". Changing the spin of one electron will allow it to occupy the same spot as another if their spins are opposite of each other. Electron atomic orbitals depend on this rule and this underpins all of chemistry. For more see the following links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermion
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauli_exclusion_principle

sophiecentaur said:
"Every sites say that we cannot precisely calculate volume of an electron but , we can say that Energy of an electron of any element at particular radius = -ze2/4πε0r"

that is the energy of the electron in its bound state in an atom - nothing to do with its own 'internal' potential energy. Why would they include z in the formula, otherwise?

Yeah you're right and this is what I am saying. I cannot find reference to formula : Energy on an electron ~ e2/r anywhere except my textbook. Logically , also this formula makes no sense. Also , the sites say that we can only find energy on an electron at certain radius in an atom of particular radius and there is nothing like electron's own energy which is independent of z and r of particular atom of element in formula E= -ze2/4πε0r.

Is my textbook wrong or not ? Please I am a student and its important for me to know.

I'd suggest that your textbook is wrong if you can find no reference to the same formula anywhere else. A textbook is not somewhere you'd expect to find 'brand new' knowledge. That paragraph may just have been garbled or a bit missed out and not been spotted during proof reading. I should just ignore it - you are hardly likely to be tested on it, after all. :smile:

That is not the standard formula, I'd guess that either the tilde is supposed to represent "proportional to", or that they are working in non-SI units.

MikeyW said:
That is not the standard formula, I'd guess that either the tilde is supposed to represent "proportional to", or that they are working in non-SI units.

Here , my textbook took e i.e. charge on an electron in esu : electrostatic units , r i.e radius of electron in centimetres. They are working in CGS system.

Now to check this equation by dimensional analysis :

We should get "ergs". Does (charge)2/distance yield energy ?

Lets see :
Standard formula is Energy = -ze2/4πεor

Now since units of 1/4πε0 in CGS are dyne cm2/esu2

Hence formula : Energy on an electron ~ e2/r seems to be dimensionally incorrect. Can you please recheck it ?

Moreover I think that equating mc2 = e2/r is also not correct , which is given in my textbook.