1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of Ellipsoid

1. Feb 15, 2006 #1
    I've been asked to derive an expression for the volume of an ellipsoid. I know what the expression is, I just don't know how to get there from the information given. All that is given is that it is defined by

[tex]\frac{x^2}{a^2} +\frac{y^2}{b^2} +\frac{z^2}{c^2} \leq 1[/tex],

a standard inequality/definition for an ellisoid. Not quit sure how to go about this.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Have you tried anything? Like first drawing a picture. Certainly it is straight forward to set up the integral. The ellipsoid's widest girth comes in the xy-plane where it is an ellipse:
    [tex]\frac{x^2}{a^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2}= 1[/tex]
    That is is covered by taking x from -a to a and, for each x, y from [itex]-b\sqrt{1-\frac{x^2}{a^2}[/itex] to [itex]b\sqrt{1-\frac{x^2}{a^2}}[/itex]. For each (x,y), z ranges from [itex]-c\sqrt{1-\frac{x^2}{a^2}- \frac{y^2}{b^2}}[/itex]. The volume is
    [tex]\int_{x=-a}^a\int_{y=-b\sqrt{1-\frac{x^2}{a^2}}}^{b\sqrt{1-\frac{x^2}{a^2}}}\int_{z=-c\sqrt{1-\frac{x^2}{a^2}-\frac{y^2}{b^2}}}^{c\sqrt{1-\frac{x^2}{a^2}-\frac{y^2}{b^2}}}dzdydx[/tex]
    or
    [tex]2c\int_{x=-a}^a\int_{y=-b\sqrt{1-\frac{x^2}{a^2}}}^{b\sqrt{1-\frac{x^2}{a^2}}}\sqrt{1-\frac{x^2}{a^2}-\frac{y^2}{b^2}}dydx[/tex]

4. Feb 15, 2006 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Use spherical coordinates, with a twist.

5. Feb 15, 2006 #4
    I agree with the previous poster, use spherical coordinates. You have (x²/a²) + (y²/b²) + (z²/c²) = 1. Spherical coordinates woudldn't work too well with that equation the way it is. It would be much better if your ellipse was transformed into a sphere with an equation like u^2 + v^2 + w^2 = 1. This suggests a change of variables. Consider u^2 = (x²/a²) and likewise for the other components for the three obvious substitutions.

6. Jul 17, 2006 #5
    if anyone could further evaluate this problem, i would greatly appreciate it. I followed the parameterization suggestion and set u=x/a, v=y/b, and w=z/c and switched the bounds on the integral. However, after integrating once I run into the problem of

2C * sqrt(1-u^2-v^2)

When I integrate that, I am unable to do it by hand and must do it on a computer system, which gives me a very long answer with two arctangents. I am pretty sure that will not work out to give me 4/3Piabc.

Thanks in advance.

7. Jul 17, 2006 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's not difficult to integrate. It is essentially [itex]\sqrt{a^2- u^2}[/itex] for which the standard substitution is the trig substitution [itex]u= a sin(\theta)[/itex]. Here that would be [itex]u= \sqrt{1- v^2}sin(\theta)[/itex]. Integrating that, with respect to u, will give something involving [itex]\sqrt{1- v^2}[/itex] which you do with another sin substitution.

8. Jul 17, 2006 #7
    I'm sorry but I don't understand. The formula listed in my previous post...

2C * sqrt(1-u^2-v^2)

is the resulting formula after having already integrated with respect to u.
    You said "integrating that, with respect to u," but I need to integrate that with respect to v.

Also, if I introduce a sin(theta) into the equation, I don't see a point in the future at which that constant will disappear, and thus my answer would have a trig function in it, although the correct answer should be
    4/3 * Pi * abc. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just not following your suggested method.

9. Jul 17, 2006 #8

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ok, so just do 2C*sqrt[ (1-u^2)-v^2] and integrate with respect to v. By making the trig substitution, you're actually integrating with respect to sin(theta) instead, so it goes away then

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?