1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of gas

1. Apr 18, 2013 #1
    How would you find out the volume 8kg of nitrogen gas would be?
    Please help

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2013 #2

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can I ask what is your situation that makes you ask this question? Because I find it hard to understand how anyone is required to answer questions like this who hasn't the resources, e.g. a textbook, to attempt an answer.

It is pretty elementary and easy, and usually we require students here to show what they have tried.

4. Apr 18, 2013 #3
    It is an part of an assignment and we have not gone through it in class

5. Apr 18, 2013 #4

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have no textbook? - you can't read ahead of what you go through in class?

6. Apr 18, 2013 #5
    Well we do have a text book but I don't think it covers this,

7. Apr 18, 2013 #6

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're asked for answers on something not done in class and that your textbook doesn't cover?
    You will need a new textbook because this one will not take you far.
    Maybe you are supposed to find out using google.
    Anyway the shotest easist thing I found was here http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120226213423AAcKYhO

But just remember that there are a number of physical magnitudes and constants that it is just useful to remember. I do not practice what I preach enough, but one thing I most remember is the volume of a mole of gas at standard temperature and pressure.

In your book there is hopefully a section on 'Avogadro's hypothesis' 'molar volume' and the 'Gay-Lussac law of volumes'.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted