Calculate Volume of Hydrogen Needed to Hydrogenate 50g Trans-Carveol

In summary, to calculate the volume required to hydrogenate 50g of trans-carveol at STP, you need to first find the amount of moles (0.329) using the given molecular mass. Plugging this into the ideal gas law, you get a volume of 815L. However, since there are two double bonds in trans-carveol, you need double the amount of hydrogen, bringing the total volume required to 1630L. However, it should be noted that this approach may not be automatically correct and should be checked for accuracy.
schoolboy10

Homework Statement

Calculate the volume required to hydrogenate 50g of trans-carveol at STP.

Homework Equations

PV=nRT
m=152g

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I might have this one but just for clarification if I'm missing something. The amount of moles is 0.329 using the amount of carveol given and the molecular mass. So plugging in:

V=(0.329)(8.315)(298)/1
= 815L

Now, there are two double bonds in trans-carveol, so we need double the amount of hydrogen to hydrogenate the double bonds. So would it just be 815L x 2 = 1630L needed?

Physics news on Phys.org
1 mole of gas at STP occupies 22.4 L, you have calculated there is 0.329 moles of carveol, that means you need LESS than 22.4 L, not many times more.

You are making an obvious error. Check your units.

Oh, silly me, it would be 0.08315, correct?

Ahh I see, thank you. So after I do the calculations to find the volume, was I right in saying originally that you double the volume since there are two double bonds?

That would be my approach, it doesn't make it automatically right.

1. How do you calculate the volume of hydrogen needed to hydrogenate 50g Trans-Carveol?

To calculate the volume of hydrogen needed to hydrogenate 50g Trans-Carveol, you will need to first determine the molecular weight of Trans-Carveol, which is 152.23 g/mol. Then, use the balanced chemical equation for the hydrogenation of Trans-Carveol, which is C10H14O + H2 → C10H16O, to calculate the molar ratio of hydrogen to Trans-Carveol. In this case, the ratio is 1:1. Next, use the given amount of Trans-Carveol (50g) and the molar ratio to calculate the moles of Trans-Carveol. Finally, use the ideal gas law, PV = nRT, to calculate the volume of hydrogen needed, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is moles, R is the ideal gas constant, and T is temperature.

2. What is the ideal gas law used for in this calculation?

The ideal gas law is used to determine the volume of hydrogen needed because it describes the relationship between pressure, volume, temperature, and moles of an ideal gas. In this case, we are using it to calculate the volume of hydrogen needed based on the moles of Trans-Carveol and the given conditions.

3. What are the units of measurement used in this calculation?

The units of measurement used in this calculation are grams (g) for the mass of Trans-Carveol, moles (mol) for the amount of Trans-Carveol and hydrogen, liters (L) for volume, and Kelvin (K) for temperature. The ideal gas constant (R) has a unit of L·atm/mol·K, where atm represents atmospheres, a unit of pressure. It is important to ensure that all units are consistent in order to obtain an accurate calculation.

4. What are the given conditions for this calculation?

The given conditions for this calculation are not specified, so it is important to assume standard conditions of temperature and pressure (STP). This means a temperature of 273.15 K and a pressure of 1 atm. If different conditions are given, the ideal gas law can be modified to account for these changes.

5. How does the amount of Trans-Carveol affect the volume of hydrogen needed?

The amount of Trans-Carveol does not directly affect the volume of hydrogen needed for the hydrogenation process. However, it does affect the moles of Trans-Carveol, which in turn affects the moles of hydrogen needed according to the 1:1 molar ratio in the balanced chemical equation. Therefore, a larger amount of Trans-Carveol would require a larger volume of hydrogen to complete the reaction.