1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Volume of Hypersphere?

1. Apr 9, 2016 #1
    What is the equation used to calculate the volume of a four- dimensional "sphere," or hypersphere?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2016 #2
  4. Apr 9, 2016 #3
  5. Apr 9, 2016 #4
    You're not wrong, but the situation is ambiguous. Consider the usual sphere. The volume has unit ##cm^3## and its area has units ##cm^2##. When we get to the hypersphere, the number analogous to the surface area is the volume and is measured in ##cm^3##. What you want is the number analogous to the volume and which is measured in ##cm^4##. I understand completely the desire to call this volume. Mathematicians call it the 4-dimensional Lebesgue measure.
  6. Apr 9, 2016 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

here are some notes i wrote on this topic:
    just as a 3 ball is swept out by revolving half a disc around a line, so a 4 ball is generated by revolving half a 3 ball.
    moreover the volume of the solid of revolution can be computed by knowing where the center of mass is. then we can
    use Archimedes’ trick to do a calculation that Archimedes could have done. Namely he showed
    that the volume of half a 3-ball equals the difference of the volumes of a cylinder minus that of a
    cone. Now the center of mass of a cylinder is obviously half way up, and Archimedes knew that
    just as the center of mass of a triangle is 1/3 of the way up from the base, the center of mass of a
    cone is ¼ the way up from the base.
    Thus we can use centers of mass and subtraction to get the volume of a 4-ball. I.e. a cylinder of
    height R and base radius R has center of mass at height R/2, and volume πR^2.R, so revolving it
    around an axis at its base gives 4 dimensional volume of 2π(R/2).πR^2.R = π^2.R^4. Now the
    inverted cone of height R and base radius R has center of mass at distance ¼ of the way from its
    base, hence distance (3R/4) from the axis, and volume (1/3)πR^2.R. Thus revolving it generates
    a 4 dimensional volume equal to (2π)(3R/4).(1/3)πR^2.R = (1/2)π^2.R^4. Subtracting the
    volume of the revolved cone from that of the revolved cylinder, gives the 4 dimensional volume
    of the revolved half 3-ball, i.e. the volume of the full 4-ball as π^2.R^4 - (1/2)π^2.R^4 =
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted