Volume of n-dimensional sphere

In summary: This gives us V_n(1) = \int_0^1 \int_0^{2*pi} \int_{B_{n-2}(1)} \rho^{n-2} d\rho d\phi d\theta. Finally, we can substitute this value into our original equation for V_n(r) to get V_n(r) = r^n * V_n(1).
rocket
let [tex]B_n(r) = \{x \epsilon R^n| |x| \le r\} [/tex] be the sphere around the origin of radius r in [tex] R^n. [/tex] let [tex] V_n(r) = \int_{B_n(r)} dV [/tex] be the volume of [tex]B_n(r)[/tex].

a)show that [tex] V_n(r) = r^n * V_n(1) [/tex]
b)write [tex] B_n(1) [/tex] as [tex] I*J(x) * B_{n-2}(x,y), [/tex] where I is a fixed interval for the variable x, J an interval for y dependent on x, and [tex]B_{n-2}(x,y) [/tex] a ball in [tex] R^{n-2} [/tex] with a radius dependent on x and y. set up an integral to allow for use of fubini's theorem in order to find [tex]V_n(1) [/tex] in terms of [tex]V_{n-2}(1)[/tex].

for a), I assume that [tex]V_n(r) [/tex] is proportional to [tex]r^n[/tex]. So [tex]V_n(r) = C*r^n [/tex]where C is a constant. [tex]V_n(1) = C*(1)^n = C [/tex]. we have the equation

[tex]V_n(1) / V_n(r) = C / C * r^n [/tex]
[tex]V_n(1) / V_n(r) = 1 / r^n[/tex]
[tex]V_n(r) = r^n * V_n(1) [/tex] which completes the proof.

the only problem is, i don't know how to prove the assumption i used - that [tex]V_n(r) [/tex] is proportional to [tex]r^n[/tex]. I know that [tex]V_1(r) = 2 * r^1 = 2r, V_2(r) = \pi * r^2, and \ V_3(r) = (4/3) \pi r^3[/tex], which is how i guessed the assumption in the first place, but I don't know how to prove it holds true for [tex]V_n(r)[/tex]. I tried using induction but I don't know what is [tex]V_{n+1}(r) [/tex] in terms of [tex]V_n(r) [/tex]. My instructor suggested that we set up an integral and use a change of variables of some sort. I was wondering how would I set up an integral to find the volume of a sphere in n-dimensions.

i'm having a lot of trouble understanding b). the bounds of the triple integral would be as follows: the interval for x would be [-1,1] for a sphere centered on the origin, since we're dealing with a radius of 1. the interval for y would be [tex][\sqrt{1-x^2}, -\sqrt{1-x^2}][/tex]. But I don't understand how to derive the bounds for [tex] B_{n-2}(x,y) [/tex]. Also, how do we find what function over which to integrate?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm completely lost. Can someone explain how to solve this problem? For b), we can use the formula for the surface area of a sphere: A_n(r) = \int_{B_n(r)} dA where A_n(r) is the surface area of B_n(r). We can rewrite this as: A_n(r) = \int_{-r}^r \int_{\sqrt{r^2 - x^2}}^{-\sqrt{r^2 - x^2}} \int_{B_{n-2}(x,y)} dV where B_{n-2}(x,y) is the ball in R^{n-2} with radius dependent on x and y. Using Fubini's theorem, we can exchange the order of integration and rewrite the equation as follows: A_n(r) = \int_{B_{n-2}(1)} \int_{-r}^r \int_{\sqrt{r^2 - x^2}}^{-\sqrt{r^2 - x^2}} dV Now we can calculate the volume of B_n(1). Since we are integrating over a ball of radius 1 in R^{n-2}, we have V_n(1) = \int_{B_{n-2}(1)} dV. Now we just need to find the bounds of the integral. We can do this by setting up a spherical coordinate system. The bounds of the integral will be from 0 to 1 for rho and 0 to 2*pi for phi. Thus, we have V_n(1) = \int_0^1 \int_0^{2*pi} \int_{B_{n-2}(1)} dV. We can now use Fubini's theorem again to calculate the volume of B_n(1).

To prove that V_n(r) is proportional to r^n, we can use the fact that the volume of a sphere can be calculated by integrating its surface area over the range of its radius. In other words, we can express V_n(r) as the integral of the surface area of the sphere with respect to the radius r. Since the surface area of a sphere with radius r is proportional to r^(n-1), we can write it as V_n(r) = C*r^(n-1) where C is a constant. Then, integrating this over the range of r from 0 to r, we get V_n(r) = C*r^n / n. Since V_n(1) = C, we can see that V_n(r) is indeed proportional to r^n.

Moving on to part b), we can use Fubini's theorem to express the volume of a n-dimensional sphere in terms of the volume of a (n-2)-dimensional sphere. We can write B_n(1) as the product of a line segment I, a two-dimensional disk J(x) and a (n-2)-dimensional ball B_{n-2}(x,y) centered at the origin. So we can express B_n(1) as I * J(x) * B_{n-2}(x,y). Now, using Fubini's theorem, we can write the volume of B_n(1) as a triple integral of the volume of the two-dimensional disk J(x) over the line segment I, and the volume of the (n-2)-dimensional ball B_{n-2}(x,y) over the two-dimensional disk J(x). This can be written as:

V_n(1) = ∫∫∫ J(x) * B_{n-2}(x,y) dI dxdy

Now, we can use a change of variables to express this integral in terms of the volume of a (n-2)-dimensional sphere. Let x = cos(θ) and y = sin(θ), then we have J(x) = cos(θ) and dxdy = dθ. Also, the bounds of the integral for θ would be from 0 to π/2. Substituting these values, we get:

V_n(1) = ∫∫∫ cos(θ) * B_{n-2}(cos(θ

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of an n-dimensional sphere?

The formula for finding the volume of an n-dimensional sphere is V = (π^(n/2) * r^n) / Γ((n+2)/2), where V is the volume, r is the radius, and Γ is the gamma function.

2. How is the volume of an n-dimensional sphere different from a regular sphere?

The volume of an n-dimensional sphere refers to the amount of space that exists within an n-dimensional surface, while a regular sphere refers to the surface itself.

3. Can the volume of an n-dimensional sphere be negative?

No, the volume of an n-dimensional sphere cannot be negative. It is a measure of physical space, which cannot be negative.

4. How does the number of dimensions affect the volume of a sphere?

The number of dimensions directly affects the volume of a sphere. As the number of dimensions increases, the volume of the sphere also increases. For example, a 3-dimensional sphere (a regular sphere) has a larger volume than a 2-dimensional sphere (a circle).

5. What are some real-world applications of the volume of n-dimensional spheres?

The volume of n-dimensional spheres has many applications in fields such as physics, mathematics, and engineering. It is used in calculating the volume of multi-dimensional objects, determining the amount of space needed for objects in higher dimensions, and in understanding the properties of higher-dimensional space.