1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of n-dimensional sphere

1. Jul 25, 2005 #1
    let [tex]B_n(r) = \{x \epsilon R^n| |x| \le r\} [/tex] be the sphere around the origin of radius r in [tex] R^n. [/tex] let [tex] V_n(r) = \int_{B_n(r)} dV [/tex] be the volume of [tex]B_n(r)[/tex].

a)show that [tex] V_n(r) = r^n * V_n(1) [/tex]
    b)write [tex] B_n(1) [/tex] as [tex] I*J(x) * B_{n-2}(x,y), [/tex] where I is a fixed interval for the variable x, J an interval for y dependent on x, and [tex]B_{n-2}(x,y) [/tex] a ball in [tex] R^{n-2} [/tex] with a radius dependent on x and y. set up an integral to allow for use of fubini's theorem in order to find [tex]V_n(1) [/tex]in terms of [tex]V_{n-2}(1)[/tex].

for a), I assume that [tex]V_n(r) [/tex] is proportional to [tex]r^n[/tex]. So [tex]V_n(r) = C*r^n [/tex]where C is a constant. [tex]V_n(1) = C*(1)^n = C [/tex]. we have the equation

[tex]V_n(1) / V_n(r) = C / C * r^n [/tex]
    [tex]V_n(1) / V_n(r) = 1 / r^n[/tex]
    [tex]V_n(r) = r^n * V_n(1) [/tex]which completes the proof.

the only problem is, i don't know how to prove the assumption i used - that [tex]V_n(r) [/tex] is proportional to [tex]r^n[/tex]. I know that [tex]V_1(r) = 2 * r^1 = 2r, V_2(r) = \pi * r^2, and V_3(r) = 4/3 * \pi * r^3[/tex], which is how i guessed the assumption in the first place, but I don't know how to prove it holds true for [tex]V_n(r)[/tex]. I tried using induction but I don't know what is [tex]V_{n+1}(r) [/tex] in terms of [tex]V_n(r) [/tex]. My instructor suggested that we set up an integral and use a change of variables of some sort. I was wondering how would I set up an integral to find the volume of a sphere in n-dimensions.

i'm having alot of trouble understanding b). the bounds of the triple integral would be as follows: the interval for x would be [-1,1] for a sphere centered on the origin, since we're dealing with a radius of 1. the interval for y would be [tex][\sqrt{1-x^2}, -\sqrt{1-x^2}][/tex]. But I don't understand how to derive the bounds for [tex] B_{n-2}(x,y) [/tex]. Also, how do we find what function over which to integrate?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I assume you're defining [tex]V_n(r)[/tex] as an integral over a volume, where r gives the radius. Fix n. Given r, you can recalculate the integral to be a constant times [tex]V_1(r)[/tex] by making a variable change [tex]x_k <= r x_k'[/tex] for [tex]1 \leq k \leq n[/tex]. The constant is your [tex]r^n[/tex] factor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?